The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Before you reboot your linux box for recent rh kernel.. plz read!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by haze, Dec 21, 2004.

1. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Just submitted this report. So far i've confirmed this on rhel 3, CentOS, and Fedora 1. It probably affects all redhat based products ( and possibly other linux distro's with cpanel ). Simple fix, but can cause quite a headache:
    http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/show_bug.cgi?id=1819

2. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

Hmm, I use pure-ftpd so that apparently doesn't apply to me... and I didn't have a problem with it.

Just FYI: the problem I did have with the new kernel was that apparently an update for curl is included with the RHEL3 updates... (I think this was the issue, I didn't troubleshoot *exactly* what it was) and that overwrote my cpanel apache/php config. This caused Apache not to start when the server came back up from a reboot into the new kernel. I had to rebuild apache (with easyapache) in order to get it working again.

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

That's a bit nasty - did 5 RHE and 1 CentOS servers without problem before spotting this post, though ;)

4. fikse

fikse Well-Known Member

i didn't have this issue after running the upgrade.... I checked the proftpd.conf file and it said it was fine...

I did have issues with spamd quitting and restarting... anyone else see this issue?

5. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Not all will have the problem.. it seems to be more prevelant on hosts with more than a few dedicated IP clients.

As far as spam assassin.. that's a totally different ball game that. Might want to check the logs while restarting see if anything pops up.

Is it constantly failing? or do you just get a report at system startup ? Perhaps its not in your ntsysv or selected to start at bootup ? If thats the case, its just chkservd finding and starting it up.

6. GOT

GOT Get Proactive!

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    We saw the spamd problems on a couple of servers. I think it is due to up2date updating the spamassassin packages itself. Very annoying.

/scripts/fixspamassassinfailedupdate fixed it for us.