The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

beginner dns/nameserver question

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by dmacleo, Feb 1, 2012.

1. dmacleo

dmacleo Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    pretty sure I have messed up setting this up.
    first of all, is it best for the vps machine name to be unrelated to any domains that may be hosted on it?
    if I had thought of it I easily could have done that and pointed my custom dns to the vps.

next question is using the vps as the NS for hosted domains (which will all be mine and I have access to registrar for) and how to set that up. should I use the shared ip of the vps for one NS entry and another for a second? this is what I have now with the only hosted domain on another dedicated ip.
    of should the vps, NS1 and NS2 each be unique.

I notice no subdomains ever work and I know I had setup issues with dns earlier so I was wondering if the above would contribute.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You could if you wanted, have a domain be the server name and an account / website yes. I've always done this myself.
    Setup the server properly first with servername.domain.com then add the first package, and then account domain.com

I also use that same domain for the nameservers as well. You'd want to use 2 IPs of course (but you can get away with one).

Lets say I have two IPs on the new VPS, I setup the server here:
    WHM > Server Configuration > Basic cPanel & WHM Setup, Basic Config tab including adding my nameservers as I wish, assign IPs and add an A entry.

Next go to my domain name registrar for example godaddy, and setup the nameservers for my domain.

In this example they could be ns.domain.com and ns1.domain.com

Can't answer on the sub domain issue. No need really, you need to get the basics going first then the rest should come together.

3. dmacleo

dmacleo Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have not tried this yet but am willing since I have had some niggling odd little dns issues and I have enough ip's.

from what I have read, and what I am thinking of doing if it seems "correct" is to name the vps vps.mydomain.com, load whm in it and assign 2 ip (NOT using the vps ip ?? ) as ns1/2.mydomain.com
    then I would create a dns zone for mydomain.com (no sites for that domain would be hosted there) in dns editor.
    then for the only important account I'll be hosting I'll just add it (has dedicated ip due to ssl) and make sure the registrar is pointing to the ns1/2 ips.

just been small little issues I cannot nail down and since i am using vps to learn with (boy its nice to reinstall an o/s in 2 minutes LOL ) before I move to dedicated I want to try to get stuff nailed down.

that sound plausible or overkill?
    thank you.

4. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Well, you'd install cPanel, and then name the server, not the other way around. You do not need to use the main IPs for nameservers if thats what you're asking, no. Say you had 3 IPs, 1 for mian shared IP, 2 more for nameservers, should work fine.

I think you've got it covered, and since you've got a server to play on and learn you can't go wrong. Once everything is setup as it should be, make sure to leave propagation time added into your equation. If something does not work right away, it might actually work, just not ready to (propagation can take minutes to days) go yet.

HTH!

5. dmacleo

dmacleo Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    hmm, whm/cpanel was pulling vps name for machine name so I just left it, never really thought I could use different there.
    learn something every day...now remembering it is the issue :)
    one benefit of using different domain name I own is I already created the vps/ns1/ns2 entries and pointed them, by the time I screw up courage to start over again they'll be propagated LOL most entries point to my windows SBS2011 server but those 3...just gotta remember vps isn't the exchange server LOL

the domain-site running off vps already has one of the ns entries working too.

think I will try it, while may be a bit more setup initially if I ever do want to host a friends domain I think it would go easier.

and yes it helped, I thank you for taking the time :)

6. dmacleo

dmacleo Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    just wanted to update in case it helps anyone, I had to change plan slightly but the basic premise was smooth. I actually registered a domain specifically for the server.

the following is what I posted elsewhere, posting here in case it helps:

7. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    The trick is to add that domain first. If you did not add it first, you can move things around in your httpd.conf and then distill.

8. dmacleo

dmacleo Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I had done it first and it did work, but in the end it wasn't as useful as how I ended up. while I won't be hosting a lot there will be some.