The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Behind NAT

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sam_webb00, Mar 19, 2008.

1. sam_webb00

sam_webb00 Registered

I will apologise upfront for my ignorance, if this has been asked before or its is in the wrong place (have searched the site and thought it was a general problem :). )I have installed and i am running Cpanel behind a router with problems , i was talking to the support and they suggested using the cpanel computer as a router so it gets the direct internet connection and then sends the connection out f another nic into a router.( if that makes any sense) The problem being i would not have a clue where to start. and if some one could give me some pointers (or hold my hand while i do it ) i would appreciate that alot .
    Thanks Alot
    Sam

2. jimmy1987

jimmy1987 Member

Well i personally i think that explaining the proces from top to bottom to you would take a great deal of time.
    Configuring your pc as a linux router isn't something you do in a few hours.

At first i should start by adding a second NIC to the pc.

3. jandafields

jandafields Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You could just get rid of the router completely and plug your cpanel box directly into the internet. Anything more advanced will require a lot more research on your part. There was a similiar post some months ago here with a similiar question, and it recieved quite a bit of useful information. You should search for that post and start there.

4. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

If you are already behind a router doing NAT and its working fine for everything else, you shouldn't try to reinvent the wheel by removing that router and going with the all-in-one server/router/firewall/etc. You risk introducing errors due to misconfiguration at every level and trouble shooting it can be a nightmare. If you have a good functional router with proper config then that will ensure that your network management is not in question as you play with different scenarios on the cpanel server.

It would be best to isolate each problem in your current configuration and then determine if other people have had similiar problems (I am willing to bet money they have) by visiting other forums like webhostingtalk.com or forums for your hardware router and they will have solutions for you that do not require re-working the whole router/nat/firewall/gateway/etc setup.

Only if you find that your problem CANNOT be fixed due to something in your configuration should you abandon the known-good router/nat setup. Also be aware that sometimes your upstream may not permit you to eliminate routers or other hardware since they might control your NAT or SNMP functions. If you did not install the router and setup the NAT then check with your upstream before attempting to pull that hardware.