The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being Probed for Relaying

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Website Rob, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Email & View Mail Stats & List of Errors unknown
    local-part & in domain &myServer&

Although, only one attempt was made and that was unsuccessful &this time&, I'm wondering what I can do to verify no Relaying can be done and/or beef up where I can?

There used to be an online tool for checking open Relays, which has now shut down the service. No doubt, being used by Spammers &looking& for open Relays. The thing is, I had used this tool when it was available and, while using a Reseller Cpanel at the time, it showed relaying was available. It was my understanding that Exim has &relay& turned off by default?

Two excellent pages specific to Exim and Relaying are: and

I see Relaying is going on though, between Client accounts (AOL only seems to use only Relaying) and also with sites like DarkOrb itself -- from Emails &I've& sent them.

Although, /usr/doc/exim-3.36/README has some good info, I do not have the confidence to just start editting files. As Exim seems to be in a variety of directories and, knowing I have a lot to learn yet about Exim, not wanting to disturb current files, I'm wondering where to find the files I would need to work with.

Any thoughts...