The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

benefits for using a ssd

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by ilaurens, Apr 3, 2014.

1. ilaurens

ilaurens Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi all,

I have a question, I want to put my first server online soon but iIm still not sure how It will look like later on.

I was thinking about using a ssd for the OS, but will it do any good?

The question is, what will the benefits be to load the OS from a SSD(not mysql)?

I know startup time is one of it, but will it really be needed, perhaps I'm overthinking things, I want to create a server for web hosting(So there is a lot of tasks).

2. edigest

edigest Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I think the benefit will be minimal. Once the OS is loaded it does not read or write back to disk. You would get better mileage from putting MySQL on the SSD.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

I moved this thread to the "Optimization" forum where it might receive more user feedback. You can also review some additional feedback if you search for "solid state drive" on our forums.

Thank you.

4. thinkbot

thinkbot Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    MySQL on SSD would be great improvement definitely, but you must remember that SSDs have limited writes

5. ilaurens

ilaurens Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I was having several thoughts about the OS, So I thought it might give some slight improvements but I guess that increase will probably be a tmp boost and mysql, if kept by default.

I want to keep the session and the stuff in the temp folder inside a 'tmpfs' system memory, since it does not have to be that big and a deleter for older(forgot the name, something with watch I think) files than 24 hours. There will be over 64 to 128 GB RAM. So there is plenty for caching MYSQL, tmp files and of course some static files.

I'm still have doubt about using a ssd for mysql, I'm not sure how much space I need because I'm not familiar with database sizes, technically I'm scared to get a to small one and since there is no room to add more it'll cause a problem and it will probably end up giving me a headache.

There is also a cycle issue, I will probably be using E-MLC(Samsung SM843T - 256 GB), Though I do want the 512 or above for it.

Any suggestions will be appreciated

PS: forgot to mention it will be for hosting clients

#5 ilaurens, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014