The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Benefits of upgrading from 8.5.4 to 9.x?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jcn, Apr 17, 2004.

1. jcn

jcn Well-Known Member

So, this is a sort of general question, with a specific situation in mind.

The specific question is that I am currently running WHM 8.5.4 cPanel 8.5.4-R7__and things are running pretty smoothly (except for a couple of weird permission changes every once in a while, wooha). Going into WHM shows me the security alert about password changes, but I've been led to believe that this was something that came about in the "update password via email" feature which I don't think exists in my version of cPanel/WHM.

So, do I upgrade to the newest STABLE, or do I just let the system chug along as it has been going now. Presumably, software updates to Apache and the like will continue to happen with my current versions, and I don't have to worry about introducing a slew of problems that will inevitably crop up with this upgrade (I've read about a ton in these forums and have no idea which ones will affect me and which will pass me by).

And then the more general question is moving forward, is there ever a time when I'll want to do this upgrade, or should I just keep my system where it is, chugging along, happy as a clam?

2. jcn

jcn Well-Known Member

In this crew, I really can't believe that nobody has an opinion...

3. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

If you read through the posts that were made around the time the email password update occured, you will come across references to other security issues.

Why don't you read through the changelog and form your own opinion?

4. jcn

jcn Well-Known Member

Well, the changelog mentions some things that I think would be valuable, including minor things like having the DNS serials actually timestamped and more substantial changes like allowing sftp into jailshelled accounts.

However, with all of the problems that I've read about in the past couple of weeks (not even including the password problem, which seems to have been taken care of quite swiftly), I'm having trouble determining whether the current Linux STABLE and RELEASE versions are actually at a deployable and not ulcer-inducing state.

I was hoping to get some insight from the community in driving my decision, as I find that the best advice typically comes from others in the same situation.

But thank you anyway for your post. Cheers.

5. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

Of course YMMV as I doubt that our configurations are identical, but I have not had any ulcer inducing problems with S93. I am a very conservative upgrader (strictly manual/stable), but I upgraded in response to the security issues mentioned earlier (not the email password reset security issue as that had already been disabled in my configuration).

6. jcn

jcn Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. No doubt our configurations are different, but it's nice to hear about some good upgrade experiences.

Can you tell me what some of the other big security issues were recently so I can look them up? The forums are rather dense with information and I'm sure I haven't seen most of the issues that have come up.

Thanks.