The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best announcement list package?

Discussion in 'cPanel Developers' started by shacker23, Mar 6, 2006.

1. shacker23

shacker23 Well-Known Member

Of all of the Mailman lists my users have set up, I've realized that a full 80% of them are one-way (announcement) lists. I don't know whether that's typical, but it's my situation.

Mailman doesn't get any points for intuitiveness, and not ONE of the customers who wanted announcement lists was able to figure out how to do it from the Mailman UI -- I had to help with every single setup. Mailman really assumes a discussion list scenario, which seems to be the less common need in web hosting.

I don't know whether Mailman has plans to offer a one-click setup for announcement lists anytime soon, but I'm starting to wonder whether Mailman is the best tool for the job. Announcement lists have fewer option requirements than discussion lists, and I'm thinking a lot of these customers would be better off with a simpler package.

What are your experiences? Do you have a favorite announcement-only list package you recommend for your users? I know there's a lot out there... just looking for real-world notes.

Extra points for packages that are easy to integrate with cPanel!

Thanks,
    Scot

2. cpanelinfoseeker

cpanelinfoseeker Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    My easy solution was to go to the bottom of the membership list and hit the "Set everyone's moderation bit, including those members not currently visible" to "ON". This moderates every current member.

Second step is in Privacy Options - Sender Filters: "By default, should new list member postings be moderated?" "YES" This takes NEW members and moderates them when they join.

Have the person UNCHECK the email address that they are sending from so they are not moderated (after the first step!) and they have an "announcement list".

They really should configure the list completely though, but these three steps should get you what they need.

Ron

3. rs-freddo

rs-freddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The simple solution is not to use mailman - I just turned it off.
    My clients use Dada Mail and PhpList and i haven't had to help configure any of them.

Mailman was never mean't to be a send only mailing list and although it can be used that way, it's unsuitable for the purpose.

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

That's all I do for the announcement lists I use.

5. electric

electric Well-Known Member

I also use dadamail for all our announcements lists.

Works great.

6. shacker23

shacker23 Well-Known Member

Chirpy and cPanelinfoseeker - right - that's the only way I know of to make Mailman work like an announcements list. And as I said, not *one* of my customers has been able to figure that out on their own - I've had to do it for them each time. Why Mailman doesn't offer a straightforward option for one-way lists, I have no idea.

Thanks much for the suggestions on PHPList and Dadamail - will test drive them.

7. asterisk

asterisk Well-Known Member

A question, how do you find the performance of phplist compared to mailman?

Also, I've heard something about mailman being not exactly up to date in Cpanel and being vulnerable hence something like phplist being a better alternative but I'm not sure how far that is correct.