FeeReD

Dec 1, 2005
Anyone know where I can get a really really good anti-dos protection. I'm having issues with a kid http flooding my server.

Thanks,
Chris

celliott

Jan 2, 2006
United Kingdom
Ban the IP, keep your security applications updated and maintained or get a hardware firewall. Its the only effective way of defeating DoS attacks.

AndyReed

PartnerNOC
May 29, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
FeeReD said:
Anyone know where I can get a really really good anti-dos protection.
If hardware, get Cisco PIX. If software, you need a good set of rules for Mud Security, Mod Evasive. I don't want to dis-credit these applications, but I suggest you stay away from APF, BFD, and SIM. I don't think they have as good of security value as many people might think. You also need to reconfigure you system files against any spoofing.

chirpy

Verifed Vendor
Jun 15, 2002
Go on, have a guess
I agree with Andy, relying on software on the server is never a good idea with a genuine DOS or DDOS. For those you should really get the help of your NOC and have them block such attacks at their routers - most of the major, responsible, NOCs offer such services these days.

FeeReD

Dec 1, 2005
Hmm.. do you know where I can get some good set of rules for mod security? I found one and it's generally for exploits and such.