The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best course of action when root account is being forced?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kbuser, Oct 1, 2009.

1. kbuser

kbuser Well-Known Member

You could always disable password entry and use a RSA key to login.

Also, at the firewall level you could disable everything on the SSH port unless it comes from an allowed list of IPs.

#1 kbuser, Oct 1, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  2. kre8web

kre8web Active Member

For the past few days we've been getting a very large number of "Large Number of Failed Login Attempts to the root account" emails from WHM every few minutes, all from different IP's/rdns. Is there any suggested course of action to take or do we simply wait out the attack?

Thankyou in advance :)

3. Kevinfrom

Kevinfrom Well-Known Member

You can also change the default SSH Port to something else and also restrict logins using /etc/hosts.allow to only allow certain IP's to login SSH.

4. kre8web

kre8web Active Member

Thanks for the advice so far, i would like togo the whitelisting IP route however i have some concerns in that my IP address isnt static. For example if for some reason i was unable to connect via normal IP range and had to use a backup ISP, then would i essentialy be totaly locked out of the system?

5. d_t

d_t Well-Known Member

You can use csf firewall to restrict ssh access and in case you're locked out, you can connect on WHM and whitelist your IP.

6. kre8web

kre8web Active Member

Thank you all for the advice so far, i plan on implementing a number of the suggestions. However currently i'm faced with a problem that, having not previously whitelisted my IP in WHM, im currently locked out of both SSH and WHM and hence cant flush the cphulk databse.

Is all i can do is wait out the attack until such a time that i can login in again via root? Or would rebooting the server at the DC flush the cphulk database?

Cheers :)