The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best method of restoring remote backup data

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by schwim, Jan 17, 2010.

1. schwim

schwim Well-Known Member

Hi there everyone,

Last night, the host of one of my dedicated servers reported a corrupted linux install, and it was deemed irreparable by their shocktroop of support professionals. This leaves me with a few questions.

I requested one of the drives to be mounted as an external to try to get the latest data from some of the dynamic sites, but for the clients that own static sites, I'd like to just restore the accounts that I've been backing up via cpanel's ftp feature. My question is how best to do that? I've downloaded the archives before to get particular data from them, and the structure of the zip isn't anything I recognize. Also, I remember that when backing up via FTP, it didn't allow me to backup the whole account in it's entirety, but only particular aspects of the account.

I've found myself in quite a pickle and would greatly appreciate any help you guys can provide.

thanks,
    json

2. ModServ

ModServ Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. schwim

schwim Well-Known Member

Thanks very much for the reply, but what I'm actually looking for help with is restoring the tar.gz's of each account that I've got on my backup ftp server. I'm confused by the various options available to me in WHM. restore backup, restore multiple backups is self explanatory, but then there's a restore full backup/cpmove file. I'd like a full backup, but does my ftp tar.gz contain that?

thanks,
    json

#3 schwim, Jan 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  4. ModServ

ModServ Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You may rsync all the backups from the remote server to /backup/cpbackup/daily then from WHM choose Configure Backup then at the first option choose Restore Only and click Save, After that from WHM too click on Restore Multiple Backups and then click on daily.

Make sure that daily folder contains only the backups you've rsynced it.

If you need more assistance just tell me.