The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best partition scheme for a new install ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pourrien, Nov 28, 2007.

1. pourrien

pourrien Member

Hi,
    I've a new server with a Centos5 distrib.
    I've 2GB of RAM and 750GB of hard disk.
    Could you tell me what is the best partition scheme please ?
    In my first test I made this sheme:
    200MB /boot
    10GB /usr
    7GB /var
    7GB /tmp
    4GB /
    4GB /swap
    717GB /home

but /usr fill very fast.
    This server will host more than 100 domains/sites.
    Thank you for your help
    Pourrien

2. AlexV.

AlexV. Well-Known Member

http://www.cpanel.net/docs/whm/WebHost_Manager_User_Manual.htm#Installation.htm

This is what we recommend, feel free to customize it based on your particular server needs:

####
    The following partition scheme is recommended:

NOTE: Different partition schemes are suitable for different types of hosting. Some servers may require space to be allocated in different ways than others. This recommended scheme is an attempt to provide enough space for many different types of hosting but it is no substitution for real world experience. This partition scheme may need to be varied to suit the needs of your specific setup.

/boot 35 Megabytes (MB)

/usr 8192+ MB (8192MB if you have an 80GB drive, 10240MB for a 100GB drive, 20480MB for a 200GB drive, etc.)

/var 2500+ MB

/tmp 512+ MB

/ 2048 MB

/home grow to fill disk

swap 2x memory size

NOTE: The "/tmp" directory is a special directory that is required to be writeable by all users and processes on the system. In general, directories that are writable by all users and processes are cause for security concern, however this directory is a special case. To minimize any security impact as a result of having an unsecured "/tmp" directory, it is recommended that "/tmp" be mounted on a seperate partition in order to take advantage of the "no exec" option available under both Linux and FreeBSD. If a separate mount point exists for "/tmp", then the installer will verify and potentially remount the partition with the "no exec" option. Additionally, the installer will ensure that the sticky bit is set on the directory and that the other permissions are correct. If "/tmp" is not mounted on a separate partition, the installer will create a file system disk image of 512 Mb and mount "/tmp" on the newly created disk image with the "no exec" directive. Under most circumstances, 512 Mb is sufficient for the "/tmp" partition; however, your system may require additional space. It is therefore recommended that you include a separate partition for the "/tmp" mount point (sized according to your size specification) prior to installing cPanel.
    ####

3. pourrien

pourrien Member

Hi,
    I saw this page, but that means

/boot 35 Megabytes (MB)

/usr 8192+ MB (8192MB if you have an 80GB drive, 10240MB for a 100GB drive, 20480MB for a 200GB drive, etc.) = 8+75=83GB

/var 2500+ MB = 2,5+75=77,5GB

/tmp 512+ MB 0,5 + 75 = 75,5 GB

/ 2048 MB

/home grow to fill disk = 505 GB

swap 2x memory size = 2 x 2= 4GB

I think 75GB for /tmp is very big. In normal case, /var and /usr needs more space than /tmp.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but your choice (default) is good for a little hard disk like 80GB. But for a 750GB hard disk, I think the choice must not be the same.

4. AlexV.

AlexV. Well-Known Member

pourrien:

Yes definitely, all those settings are recommendations for "standard" size hard drives.

Hence we suggest tweaking the distribution of space based on your hard drive size and server needs.

As longs as you meet the minimum requirements for the cPanel installation, the rest is up to you depending on how you use the space on your server.

5. hbhb

hbhb Well-Known Member

I dislike the idea of limiting /var which stores my database.

I usually use default ones regardless of hardware specifications:

/boot 100mb
    /swap 2GB
    /tmp 500mb
    / fill all space

What do the rest think?

6. pourrien

pourrien Member

I'm a newbie in "linux-community", but where you will put your /home /usr and /var ? In your / ??
    I saw somewhere around internet than your /home must be a "primal" partition. Like this if your /boot crash or data lost, you can boot on your /home. But maybe I'm wrong, like I told you, I'm a very newbie.
    Regards