The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Solution for External Nameserver

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by nhadsall, Nov 7, 2015.

1. nhadsall

nhadsall Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi everyone,
    I already searched the forums and googled extensively:

I just started using WHM/cPanel/WHMCS on my VPS. I have many domains on NameCheap nameservers. I will be giving clients access to cPanel accounts. The problem is with DNS settings. If you edit DNS through cPanel it is incorrect (and does not update the external nameservers). Typically I manage DNS for clients, but want to allow them to also make changes.

What is the best option here? I see three options depending on what is possible:
    1. Is there a way to disable DNS editing through cPanel? (Since they can do it through their WHMCS login.
    2. Can cPanel get DNS info and update external nameservers like WHMCS can?
    3. Can I mass migrate my DNS settings from namecheap nameservers to my VPS nameserver?

Thanks in advance!

2. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    1. Is there a way to disable DNS editing through cPanel? (Since they can do it through their WHMCS login.
    yes Disable Advanced DNS Zone Editor and Simple DNS Zone Editor in the default feature manager

2. Can cPanel get DNS info and update external nameservers like WHMCS can?
    CPanel does not support this but I'm sure a 3rd party APP could be built to do it

3. Can I mass migrate my DNS settings from namecheap nameservers to my VPS nameserver?
    you would need to change to using the DNS servers on your Cpanel server and change all of your domains to use those name servers

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

In addition to the previous post, the following guide can guide you through this option:

[Tutorial] Nameserver configuration on cPanel servers

Thank you.