The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best solution for shared hosting server ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hostvn, Feb 23, 2010.

1. hostvn

hostvn Member
    PartnerNOC

Hello,

I'm providing shared hosting service, I using Cpanel which installed Apache & Mysql on server and store mutil sites - mutil web sources, it's combo system so high load and can't hold more than 100 host users on server X3210 - 8 GB RAM - SATA 2 HDD.

I finding about solution to improve server performance, I want to use many server installed Cpanel without Mysql server and these servers connect powerful MySQL server through private switch as localhost (client can use localhost when config mysql server path).

Please help me to compare with default Cpanel system (combo system) with above idea, I think someone was installed it and can tell me advantages and disadvantages, and provide me some tutorials to config mysql server on another server (connect through private switch) ?

Regards,

2. hostvn

hostvn Member
    PartnerNOC

Anyone have advices ?

3. xanubi

xanubi Well-Known Member

With a server with X3210 - 8 GB RAM - SATA 2 HDD, you should be able to host 250 websites AT LEAST! if you can't get more than 100 sites, it means that these sites have poor written webscripts, and you should warn your users and try to help them improve the scripts. For example, wordpress script, you can help, installing memcache. Also you should tweak your apache and mysql, with that ammount of RAM and processor, you can host a lot more.

4. hostvn

hostvn Member
    PartnerNOC

@xanubi: Thanks for you reply. In case, i'm providing shared hosting with multi source, customers using vbulletin, wordpress, joomla, drupal ...etc. When i tested memory usage, mySQL always using over 50% physical RAM.
    More, i tried to test with 2 servers:
    Server 1: Dual E5405, 8GB RAM, SAS 15k driver
    Server 2: X3220, 8GB RAM, HDD SATA ES.2
    Both of these servers can host only 100 site. (total monthly bandwith per server: around 1200GB).

Last time, i tried to use APC or eAccelator but i have to disable because it made overload by using much RAM.

That's why i need to build mySQL server extenal of cPanel server. Using remote mySQL server seem to be easy, but i think it'll take much lost connections. So, i'm trying to find out how to build mySQL server extenal with private local switch.

Anyway, thanks for your comment, xanubi.
    Have a good day.

5. xanubi

xanubi Well-Known Member

It all depends on the quantity of users. I say again, with that hardware, you can host more. I host joomla, wordpress, moodle, drupal, with only 4gb of ram, and 250 clients. There're many configs you can try, for example, memcache is perfect for wordpress. Furthermore, you can use diskcache for apache, and niginx as a front-end proxy. Try to optimize things, it's possible to make more. 100 clients for 2 servers, you'll have a loose money system.