The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best steps to change the main IP address of server?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Metro2, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Metro2

Metro2 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm hoping that someone can provide a best method for changing the main shared IP (which is also the Exim mail server IP) of one of my servers.

The data center I purchased the server from inherited to me a dirty IP mixed into a /24 net of abusers and spammers, so my customers are getting blocked despite the fact that my IP is squeaky clean.

I've already gone through every unblocking / delisting procedure imaginable (including asking the data center noc to do something about it) but after 3 months of fighting this issue I can see clearly they aren't going to clean up the garbage users from the network.

SO...

Can anyone tell me the best method to assign a new IP as the server's main IP / main shared IP, and if possible without any downtime for my users?

Fingers crossed... and thank you!

2. Metro2

Metro2 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Welp.. scratch that I guess...

I was just informed by the data center that the IP is associated with the hardware and it would require them to move my hard drives to a new chassis etc... resulting in, to quote them, up to 24 hours of down time. :(

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You could ask for an additional IP address, and then use the additional IP address for sending email:

How to Configure Exim's Outgoing IP Address - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.