The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way of Moving accounts from one server to another

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by festprint, Apr 16, 2005.

1. festprint

festprint Member

Can someone confirm or correct me as I am sure I am doing something wrong!

Old server:

20 accounts
    primary nameserver: ns1.mydomain.com IP **.**.**.68
    secondary nameserver: ns2.mydomain.com IP **.**.**.69

New server

Wish to move the above accounts to;
    I was given 4 IP addresses:

**.**.**.36
    **.**.**.37
    **.**.**.38
    **.**.**.39

As both use Cpanel, I copied multiple accounts using the Cpanel function. All accounts were copied.

I tried setting the new server and giving it the same config as the old one, that is ns1, ns2 above but assigning two of the new IP addresses above, set the resolver IPs as ...36,...37,...38 and set the ...36 as the Primary shared IP.
    After waiting few hours, one night in fact, did not resolve.
    I went and changed the primary and secondary nameservers to ns3, ns4 with the same domains and even changed the domains to point to ns3, ns4 at registrar level, that did not work after waiting few hours.
    Note that the old server still has the production sites live and intact, should I delete or suspend all domains in the old server for them to switch to the old or what?
    If I do that, wouldn't be risking a long downtime of a day or two?
    Confused, confused!

Any idea how to safely move sites and either assign them the same nameservers or different nameservers with different IP addresses?

2. KMK Enterprises

KMK Enterprises Well-Known Member

1. Don't delete the accounts off the older server until you get everything on the new one working properly and things are resolving okay (I usually wait a week or more after moving just to be sure I've got everything off the old server I need).
    2. Use WHM to check that your main shared IP, hostname, and nameservers are set up correctly and that your nameservers have IPs assigned and A entries (Server Setup> Edit Setup).
    3. Check that all the accounts you copied over have actually been set up on the new server - they should be accessible via http://primaryIP/~username
    4. Did you actually set up host records for your ns3 and ns4 namservers with your registrar?Or if you're going to continue to use ns1 and ns2 with two of the new IPs, you'll need to make those changes to your host record with the registrar.
    5. If your clients nameservers are listed as ns1 and ns2 with their respective registrars, and you plan on using the new ns3 and ns4, their domains will all need to be changed with their respective registrars to point to those new ns3 and ns4 nameservers.

3. festprint

festprint Member

Thanks for the reply, I actualy plan on using the ns1, ns2 I am using on the old server.
    Is it just a case of moving accounts to the new server and stting it up with the above NSs as it'll give it the new server available IPs?, I know it'll tell me that they have IPs already from the old server (because is still live I presume)
    The accounts are OK when checked through http://NewPrimaryIP/~accountname, but are not resolving after more than a day now. I did not change anything at registrar level as I am assuming they have ns1, ns2 and will know IP addressess once assigned at server level! am I wrong there?

4. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

Your server won't automatically tell the domain registrar that the IPs for ns1 and ns2 have changed. I believe that you'd have to change the IPs for ns1 and ns2 at the registrar level as well.

5. festprint

festprint Member

Is that so, well, in that case I may as well register ns3, ns4 at registrar level, give that to the new server as primary and secondary, that way my production sites will not be interrupted while in the old server. I am thinking of creating a totally new account and see if that comes live with the new ns3, ns4 in the new server, if anything, I'll know if that resolves for a new site in a new server, then the imported / copied accounts will do as well. It looks like this is the way to go about it, once the ns3, ns4 are available and resolving, the copied sites will start resolving as soon as they are suspended / deleted from the old server or the old server / nameservice is switched off.
    I am more sure now than I was, but not 100% sure :(
    Thanks for the direction.

#5 festprint, Apr 17, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2006
  6. KMK Enterprises

KMK Enterprises Well-Known Member

Changing all of the domains which now are directed to your ns1 and ns2 nameservers to go to ns3 and ns4 will require you to change all of the nameservers with those domains at their respective registrars, the registrars won't just automatically add the ns3 and ns4 to those domains. And those domains won't start resolving to the new ns3 and ns4 nameservers until those changes have been made.

The new server won't tell you that your ns1 and ns2 have their existing IPs from your old server, because those IPs aren't part of your IP pool on the new server (the 4 IPs the new service provider gave you are in the pool on the new server). It will assign them new IPs from those in the pool on your new server. Assigning these new IP addresses via your WHM won't have any affect on the domains hosted on your nameservers (i.e., where those domains resolve to) until you actually make the changes to your host record with the registrar where your nameserver domain is registered - i.e., change the IPs to the new IPs for your ns1 and ns2.

I've always found that making changes to only one domain registration record (i.e., the host records for our nameserver domain) is a lot easier than having to change (or request clients to make the changes) the records for 20 or 100 or more domains.