The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to backup?

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by davidelliott, Jul 7, 2010.

1. davidelliott

davidelliott Well-Known Member

Hello,

I was wondering what is the best way to backup all the accounts on your server to another server in the same datacenter?

I have one server containing clients and another which the backups are going to. The server with all the clients goes underload for a long time while backing up and is not exactly efficient for when browsing their forums as it takes a little longer to load. Can someone recommend what to do?

Thanks,
    David!

2. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you have the space you can do uncompressed backups to your local server then have the remote server pull the backups over rsync. That should be pretty efficient for your server.

3. davidelliott

Here is what I am currently doing:

[​IMG]

Backup Type: Remote FTP (Accounts Only)
    FTP Backup Passive Mode (required if you are behind a firewall or FTP backups fail): Disabled

Is there a way I can make this more efficient?

From that server to the other on the same network.

4. Miraenda

Miraenda Well-Known Member

If you did the backup onto the machine itself (as eth00 noted), you could then utilize that incremental option you'd selected, which would only back up changed files. That would then cut down on the load and those backups could then be rsynced to the other machine. This is using the cPanel backups only without having them FTPed to a remote machine during the backup process (incremental backups will only work for locally made backups).

The only other way to do it without it being as intensive would be to just use rsyncs period. The way to do this I detailed in another thread:

http://forums.cpanel.net/f5/rsync-backups-160054.html#post671150

Now, if you are going to use rsyncs rather than cPanel backups, I suggest testing it out that it works right first. This means, trying the rsyncs onto the new machine, then testing the sites work on that machine (using the http://IP/~username temporary urls is the best way to test the sites work). You might need to get a cPanel license for that machine (or a trial license if you are able to obtain one) to test it. After you are certain the method you are using will work properly for a backup of the machine to this new one, then you can use that method.

I'm simply noting this as I've seen people who aren't familiar with using rsync improperly do them in conjuction with cPanel backups. If you choose the method noted in that thread, you cannot do cPanel restores from cPanel backups with it.

#4 Miraenda, Jul 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  5. davidelliott

I think we are just gonna get a raid 1 setup :).

6. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

Raid is NOT a backup!

Raid will protect you from hardware failure, but it will do NOTHING for an account that's been hacked, files that have been deleted, etc.

Use Raid, but do NOT consider that to be your backup plan. What happens if your machine fries both hard drives?

7. Miraenda

I have to agree here with Lyttek about RAID. RAID is great to provide redundancy in case one of the drives goes bad, so it is a great solution when the drive goes bad and you have RAID on another drive to switch over to it.

Conversely, RAID is not the same as a backup, since RAID would be on the same machine and it's simply a mirror. A backup will have older files and, oftentimes, you can have multiple backups for different days, allowing an account restore for a prior point in time (in the case where that account has either had content deleted or been exploited in the current time but the content is still available in the older backup files).

Off server backups are a necessity however you want to institute them. RAID isn't a replacement for off server backups.

8. syslint

syslint Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

RAID and backup are different. RAID will give good redundancy. If you need to restore some old files you must need to take backup.

9. davidelliott

So what is the best way to backup without having heavy load?

10. Miraenda

Using rsync is the best way to back up without causing a load.

11. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

If you have the space, I'd recommend using full backups without compression, then using rsync to transfer those for the offsite backup. I've never really trusted incremental backups with any system, as it introduces more failure points, but that's MHO :)