neilh

May 30, 2003
Hey. newbie here.

I am setting up my first dedicated server and I am tring to determine how I should designate my IP's.

All of the virtual accounts will be on the primary IP, say 1.1.1.1. Originally, I figured we would point our company's domain to its own ip 2.2.2.2.

Then I realized it would be nice if we could show virtual clients, who haven't yet switched their domain over, their site in progress by telling them to go to ourcompany.com/~client. Therefore it would be nice if ourcompany.com was pointed to 1.1.1.1.

So, is it possible (or should I say easy) to have our company's domain point to the ip with virtual accounts, but not have it as a virtual account itself. I figured I would put our company's website in /root/public_html and set that as the DocumentRoot.

But, if I did that, I would not be able to alter the emails etc through cpanel, unless i created it as a virtual account on the server. So, am I right to think the best (easiest) thing to do is create a virtual acount on the server for our company, and then point the DocumentRoot to its folder in the home dir.

The question is, if I did that would ourcompany.com/~client work? because would the server not know what to do since the domain name was in the request as well as the ~virtualaccount??

phew - very long winded. sorry. I'm new to this and my head is spinning. thanks in advance for any guidance!!

Neil

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: