The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to secure our email?

Discussion in 'Security' started by darrenl, Jul 13, 2010.

1. darrenl

darrenl Member

Hi everyone!

We just got a new dedicated server with WHM and cPanel. The problem is when we configure our clients it asked us to confirm the SSL certificate because it seems it is self-signed. While I have an understanding of web ssl certificated, how can we implement email ssl with a professional certificate and who may offer it? Also, how would I make it so webmail has to be read through SSL?

Thanks,
    Darren

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can install an SSL certificate for use with Exim or the POP/IMAP service (either Courier-IMAP or Dovecot) using Main >> Service Configuration >> Manage Service SSL Certificates. You can also install a certificate for cPanel/WHM/Webmail (they use the same certificate) using the same interface.

You can force redirects to cPanel/WHM/Webmail to use the SSL ports (2083/2087/2096) by checking Always redirect users to the ssl/tls ports when visiting /cpanel, /webmail, etc. in Main >> Server Configuration >> Tweak Settings. This will only affect redirects from /cpanel, /whm and /webmail, however. To force log-ins on the SSL ports only, check Require SSL for all remote logins to cPanel, WHM and Webmail. This setting is recommended, also in Tweak Settings.

3. Radwiz

Radwiz BANNED

You could get a signed certificate but to be honest, it would really be pointless.

Signed certificates have no greater security than self-signed certificates as far as encryption security is concerned and the popup is only going to come up the very first time you login which you are going to get anyway since your email program has to save and store the certificate signed or not.

For e-commerce, I would agree with and even insist on a signed certificate but for email applications unless talking about webmail exclusively, I myself would not worry any about about it as a self signed is more than sufficient.