The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to set up cPanel to act as secondary nameserver for a single zone

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by tvirtualw, Jan 28, 2011.

1. tvirtualw

tvirtualw Registered

Hi there,

I need some help on setting up cPanel as a secondary (or tertiary) name server for a single domain.

This is the scenario:
    The customer has primary and secondary name servers on its network.
    We have a cPanel (11.28) server hosting some subdomains for the customer. The subdomains get added to their primary and secondary DNS. The domain in cPanel is configured to have external name servers.

Now the customer wants additional DNS redundancy. They would like to use our cPanel server as tertiary server for their domain. However, there are other domains hosted on our server.

So, my initial idea was to just add all of their DNS records manually to our cPanel server and then let them add our server as tertiary name server to their domain.
    If both of their DNS fail, our server can answer DNS requests.

My first question is: would that work or do you see any problems with this setup?

My second question is: is it possible to automate the zone transfer to our server so that we do not have to add/update records manually when the customer changes their configuration.

Any hints, ideas and links to supporting documentation are highly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Volker

2. anynames

anynames Member

We have the same issue - before on Cobalt servers there was a way to enter seconday domain and insert the ip that was authoritative.

How do we do this on Cpanel - I know you can cluster several Cpanel servers together or use DNSonly but We can't really tell our customer to change their DNS server to be the same as us ;)

Thanks

Gavin

3. anynames

anynames Member

Bump

Has no one done this? offered to be secondary for another provider/friend? Surely it can't be that difficult.