Best way to setup email SSL mail.domain.com for iPad (iOS6)?

tm2004

Mar 1, 2005
Client wants to setup email on their iPad and trying to get some kind of SSL to run. Found below post from April 2009. Is this still the case with SSL?

I know we can use the server SSL but wanted to see about using mail.clientdomain.com

I have a client who was on a ded server with Plesk who had an ssl cert setup for their site for "mail.domain.com". He asked me to do the same for him on my linux/cpanel server.

The thing is, I have no idea where to start. If I get this client an ssl cert for mail.domain.com, do I put it in a different place on the server-- a different directory? I know that cpanel has a default cert for secure smtp on port 465. Is what this client is asking for practical?

At this time, we only support 1 SSL certificate for Dovecot/Courier and Exim. You can install certificates for Exim as well as Dovecot (or Courier if you are using Courier) at WHM -> Service Configuration -> Manage Service SSL Certificates. This means to avoid domain mis-match errors being generated by the mail clients, all domains on the server that are using SSL for their mail will need to use that customer's domain as that's the domain with the SSL certificate for mail.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello :)

Yes, we still only support a single SSL certificate for Dovecot/Courier and Exim. This is managed via:

"WHM Home » Service Configuration » Manage Service SSL Certificates"

Thus, you should use the hostname of your server if possible, and have all of your users configure their email clients with SSL for that hostname. Beyond that, you are welcome to submit a feature request to add support for multiple service certificates. Our feature request system can be found at:

Submit A Feature Request

Thank you.

sneader

Aug 21, 2003
La Crosse, WI
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
As a data point, I have our customers still use mail.theirdomain.com, even when setting up SSL email. Yes, they will get an SSL error the FIRST time they send/receive mail... they can click "yes" or "ok" or "accept this certificate" or whatever... then they are good to go.

If you hard code the server's name, then you better not ever change the server's name or move the customer to one of your other servers, because then they are going to have to reconfigure all their machines and devices.

Leaving it as mail.theirdomain.com will allow them to be moved to a different server without the customer reconfiguring anything. Yes, they will get another "certificate mismatch" error the FIRST time they send/receive with the new server... but again, they save the exception, and all done.

Your mileage may vary. Just another angle for you to consider.

- Scott