The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best way to throttle my server?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by quadrahost, Mar 19, 2005.

1. quadrahost

quadrahost Active Member

I installed mod_bandwidth and mod_throttle and am not happy with either one. The throttle module works, but the negative side is that when it works, it gives error pages to those being blocked, which looks poorly on my company. The bandwidth module just doesn't seem to work at all.

I run an web hosting company and have several very popular virtual sites that are taking their toll on the server as a whole and affecting my other clients on the same box.

I'm looking to limit bandwidth to individual virtual accounts and as more hit requests come in, cut the bandwidth in half so no one gets errors, just slower speeds.

Any ideas?

WHM 10.0.0 cPanel 10.0.0-C148
    RedHat Enterprise 3 i686 - WHM X v3.1.0

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

There's an optional module available in WHM > Addon Modules > that installs mod_bandwidth for you - might have more success if you tried it manually before.

3. quadrahost

quadrahost Active Member

I used the script when I installed it and also followed the suggestions on this site for getting it to work. People can still download at full speed.

4. ispro

ispro Well-Known Member

Are you have "BandWidthModule On" in your /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf ?
    It is mostly the case.

Make sure that:
    PLEASE, NOTE THAT IF YOU SET A BANDWIDTH LIMIT INSIDE A VIRTUALHOST BLOCK, YOU ALSO __NEED__ TO PUT THE "BandWidthModule On" DIRECTIVE INSIDE THAT VIRTUALHOST BLOCK !

However if you have problem with PHP files output - it is another story. Looks like a feature of mod_bandwidth - it cannot to limit properly gzipped output.

Another issue is that /var/cpanel/apachebw/* owned by root. But it is should be owned by nobody! Do "chown nobody.nobody -R /var/cpanel/apachebw" and it will helps you.

Let me know if it helped you?

P.S. Read http://www.cohprog.com/v3/bandwidth/doc-en.html for Documentation with examples.