The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beware of the '.' - How to resolve "ERROR: One or more of the nameservers"

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by phez, May 21, 2012.

1. phez

phez Member

May 16, 2012
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

Thought I would share this with you since it was driving me a little crazy. I had recently added a 3rd cpanelDNSonly instance and changed my hostname on my DNS servers. I then had to add manually the 3rd DNS server to existing records (luckly only 20 or so domains) to add the 3rd nameserver as it did not automatically update the DNS records.

After checking the domains using intoDNS: checks DNS and mail servers health I kept receiving an error for some of the domains.

"ERROR: One or more of the nameservers listed at the parent servers are not listed as NS records at your nameservers. The problem NS records are:"

I thought that the syncronisation was not working between nameservers, so I did a manual sync and all was reported OK. It was odd as only some of the domain names were failing, not all.

After looking at the DNS records (from WHM - Main >> DNS Functions >> Edit DNS Zone) for the impacted domains I noticed I had missed a trailing '.' at the end of the NS records for the hostname e.g. 14400 IN NS

what it should be is: 14400 IN NS

notice the additional 'dot' at the end of '' - Once this was added, retried and all was perfect.

I am not sure if this has tripped anyone else up in the past or that Cpanel should work it automatically, but hopefully it helps someone.