The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BIGSCREWUP! with Exim 4.43-30

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mr.wonderful, Nov 2, 2004.

1. mr.wonderful

mr.wonderful BANNED

What is Cpanel doing?

My MailScanner is dead in the water, and no messages are being received!. All of a sudden Cpanel changes the directory structure of /var/spool/exim_incoming/input. This is where all my messages arrive before being scanned by MailScanner, but MailScanner can no longer find the messages because they are now arriving in their own directories;

./ 0/ 3/ 5/ 9/ b/ d/ e/ F/ G/ i/ j/ k/ L/ M/ o/ p/ q/ r/ T/ v/ w/ X/ Z/
    ../ 2/ 4/ 7/ A/ C/ D/ E/ g/ H/ I/ J/ l/ m/ N/ O/ P/ Q/ S/ U/ V/ W/ Y/

This is absurd. Each messages is now sent to one of these directories? So for those of us running MailScanner how do these messages get retrieved from these directories?

What is up with this?

exim (exim-4.43-30_cpanel_smtpctl_av_rewrite_mm2_mmmtrap_exiscan_md5pass) is the problem here. Messages arriving should just be placed into the /input directory where MailScanner can find them, not into their own split directories. THIS IS RIDICULOUS!

2. FWC

FWC Well-Known Member

3. kens6139

kens6139 Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can fix mail scanner by adding a * to the incoming queue statement in MailScanner.conf. Mine looks like this "Incoming Queue Dir = /var/spool/exim_incoming/input/*".

If you have a exim-daemon.pid file in the input folder delete it, also delete the db and msglog directorys if they exist in the input folder.

also check your exim.conf and make sure the queue matches the one in your MailScanner.conf , note leave input off the spool statement here Mine looks like this "spool_directory = /var/spool/exim_incoming"

Be sure to service exim restart , and service MailScanner restart.

My setup is C Panel on RH enterprise 3 so you may need to alter this with a different setup.

There is still an issue with this setup, the manage mail queue in WHM is worthless !!

Http://www.fatcatservers.com

#3 kens6139, Nov 3, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2004
  4. rvskin

rvskin Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

5. mr.wonderful

mr.wonderful BANNED

Anyone with half a developers mind cant possibly be interested in in the Clamconnector. Its pretty worthless if you ask me! Im using the real mailscanner, not the modified heck from Cpanel's website. Thats even worst than all of them put together.

I solved my issue, turn OFF split directories in exim.conf. Ill create a script in postupcp that will reset that option to OFF it it ever gets changed again.

Cpanel, they are the devils!

#5 mr.wonderful, Nov 3, 2004
  6. kens6139

kens6139 Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hmmm.... This does look interisting. I think I will stick with MailScanner for now , but may give Exiscan a try on the next server I set up.

7. FWC

FWC Well-Known Member

That's not an option for some of us. We have several clients who will leave if we can't turn off all attachment and virus rules on their sites. But, most insist on virus and attachment checking. MailScanner gives us the flexibility to satisfy all of our customers.

#7 FWC, Nov 3, 2004
  8. rvskin

rvskin Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Did you read my document?

You can do whitelist for both virus scanning and spam scanning or even add option to cPanel and allow user turn it on and off.

9. mr.wonderful

mr.wonderful BANNED

Hey Pairote, some of us dont need our users to control this! Why? If we are doing this serverwide why add more confusing options to their control panel options? I already read your document and unless you are running Clamconnector its worthless. I am running Spamassassin + Real MailScanner + Razor + Surbl and thats the way i want to leave it for now.

10. mr.wonderful

mr.wonderful BANNED

Thanks, this may look easier than just setting split directories OFF since it wont require updating when cpanel decides to modify my exim.conf

11. rvskin

rvskin Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

It's your choice. It's out of your topic now. If you want to talk how good and bad between Mailscanner and Exim+Exiscan, we should open new thread.

12. mr.wonderful

mr.wonderful BANNED

Exiscan is already incorporated in Spamassassin, no matter how you look at it, whether your using Cpanels version of Mailscanner or using Spamassasin with the real MailScanner there is ZERO difference.

Also,

where are you getting this version from?

exim-4.42-80_cpanel_stmpcontrol_antivirus_rewrite_mailman2_maskedmailtrap_exiscan

The latest according to Cpanel is 4.42-30

#12 mr.wonderful, Nov 3, 2004
  13. mr.wonderful

mr.wonderful BANNED

Tired that and all i keep getting is;

Nov 3 03:30:02 srv07 MailScanner[31256]: Cannot cd to dir /var/spool/exim_incoming/input/1BNw1j-0002zM-65-D to read messages, Not a directory
    Nov 3 03:30:0

14. kens6139

kens6139 Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

Take the star off and restart exim and mailscanner - it should send those mails in the input directory. Then add the star back.

Or you may try moving the files into one of the new queue directories. or depending on how many you have you may just delete them.

But for that error to be gone you must have only the queue directories in the input folder.

15. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

There is actually a little more to just adding the *, there are 3 stages to updating (which is why I wrote the script). You need to:

1. Add the *

Incoming Queue Dir = /var/spool/exim_incoming/input/*

2. Change to split spool in MailScanner.conf:

Split Exim Spool = yes

3. Precreate all the directories for 0-9a-zA-Z (with the right ownership+permissions) for:

/var/spool/exim_incoming/input/
    /var/spool/exim/input/

P.S. For those that want it, I'm also developing a cPanel front-end for users, though most system admins still prefer to be in control of the process themselves. Exiscan options will never be as effective or configurable as MailScanner simply because of the maturity and extensiveness of the MailScanner product. But, if you prefer exiscan, go with it.

16. kens6139

kens6139 Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

17. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Yup, fair enough. There are two distinct ways to setup MailScanner with Exim, one using the split incoming/outgoing delivery system and the other using the single delivery system but without outbound scanning. We've probably covered both for now ;)

18. FWC

FWC Well-Known Member

You require clamavconnector. We prefer to control clamav ourselves since that add on has created several problems for admins.

19. rvskin

rvskin Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

As I said, it is your choice. But it is the way cPanel go. cPanel always screw the server if you have your custom installation.

20. TJCooper

TJCooper Member

I read the document and I couldnt get it to work past doing the make and make test for razor because it said it couldnt find Digest::SHA1 which i installed well it said it installed. Have you heard any problems about that?