The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

billing software

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bryanedwards05, Apr 2, 2008.

1. bryanedwards05

I need a billing software that will work with WHM. I don't really want something that a client would setup, but more of a managing software that will send out monthly invoices based on what package that they are signed up for.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. LiNUxG0d

LiNUxG0d Well-Known Member

Hey man!

Yeah, for sure, Modernbill! :)

Take a look: http://www.modernbill.com/

Fantastic wizards, order forms, coupon support, amazing product overall, plus they've been around the block a few times.

:)

Regards,

3. diyamput

diyamput Registered

how if you use WHMCS, try to search it...
    http://www.whmcs.com/

i think it more simply than modern bill :D

4. weetabix

weetabix Well-Known Member

whmcs all the way!

software is simple and is just working, quite the opposite of modernbill tbh. i actually tried to go mb5 and was having a very hard time getting it to do what i wanted. whmcs is much more intuitive and fun to use.

head on over to the whmcs forum and check the other peoples praises and then come join the coir. :)

you wont regret it.

5. mohit

mohit Well-Known Member

and the winner is WHMCS.

If it wasn't around, i would have been MAD by now :p

6. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Really? Have you ever used anything else? Are you a ModernBill reseller?

ModernBill is on the way out as a product; it's just been sold to Parallels, I suspect for the simple reason that they saw the writing on the wall when most of their new signups moved to WHMCS over the last 12 months. If it was a going, profitable concern there's no way it would have been sold. From my personal experience, and that of many others, ModernBill is torture to set up, unreliable, and difficult to use. Not what you'd expect from a company "that's been around the block a few times", and I'm sad it's come to this. My own personal experience with ModernBill (v4) wasted thousands of dollars and 6 months. Here's an example - changing an invoice in MB 4 (not version 5, the latest, granted) required changing the total in 2-3 places and updating raw HTML code! [In WHMCS, which was my replacement for MB, I can do the same thing in 5 seconds by changing a number or description on the screen and clicking "Save". Too easy.] I have no idea how MB, which was once definitely the flagship hosting billing system, could have let itself get so unusable in so many obvious ways. I guess complacency is an easy disease to catch. (BTW kudos are definitely due to MB for being the first popular and real solution - it's just that I think over time they've lost whatever they once had)

WHMCS seems to have supplanted ModernBill as the new de-facto standard billing system. Easy to use, easy to learn and train staff in, including a support ticket system, and from personal experience, bug free and robust. You should be able to get the basics set up in a few hours and site integration is also pretty easy. They have great online forums at http://forums.whmcs.com and their support usually gives around a 4 hour or less turnaround for responses, during UK business hours. Posting on the forums mostly gets help, and often a response from the WHMCS team and developers. WHMCS make regular releases (on an average of every 2 months over the last 12 months, sometimes more) with code updates and new functionality - the product is constantly evolving.

Another billing system that is spoken well of is ClientExec. I have little experience of it but some people swear by it, and I know some prefer it to WHMCS. My understanding is that it is also easy to use and setup and pretty robust although this is based on what I've heard about it over the last few years rather than personal use. Again, if you check out the forums you'll see good stuff about it more than bad.

There are other billing packages out there - my personal take, having looked briefly at a few, is that they are much harder to use and set up. I think "easy to use" will save you dollars in the long run. Some of the others - AWBS, ubersmith. Stay away from the free solutions - they'll end up costing you money in the long run.

Disclaimer: I do not resell WHMCS, I don't work for them, I don't even know them; I just use and love their product and their support!

7. SoftDux

SoftDux Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Modernbill is going backwards, and since it's now been owned by the company who also owns Plesk, I don't see a bright future for it