Binary failed after 64 bit upgrade

turbo2ltr

Jun 3, 2011
I have a binary that has been running happily on my old 32 bit cpanel VPS. The VPS was upgraded to the latest 64 bit OS/cpanel and now I get the "bad ELF interpreter" error which seems to be tied to the fact that the binary is compiled for 32 bit target.

I don't have the option to recompile. (It's legacy stuff)

Google tells me to
Code:
sudo dnf install glibc.i686
but that may be only the start of dependency issues.

I am not strong in the whole dependency thing so I want to post here and ask what my plan of attack should be and do I risk messing anything up adding 32bit support.

Thanks.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

Direct upgrades to new operating systems through YUM (e.g. 32-bit CentOS 6 to 64-bit CentOS 6) are unsupported, and can lead to several issues (including the one you have described). The best approach to upgrading an operating system is to setup a new server, install cPanel, and then transfer the accounts using "WHM >> Transfer Tool". We provide a document on how to transfer the accounts at:

How to Move All cPanel Accounts from One Server to Another - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Let us know if there's anything we can do to help you with the migration process.

Thank you.

turbo2ltr

Jun 3, 2011
Thanks but that doesn't really help me at this point. The datacenter did the update and offered this option to minimize downtime and not have to change my IP address. I have migrated accounts before adn it's very easy, but I have customization outside of cpanel that wouldn't get moved over if I just migrated the individual accounts so I chose to let them do the in-place upgrade.

Can anyone else provide "unofficial" guidance?