The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bind failed & wont start.

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by mpope, Nov 1, 2001.

1. mpope

mpope Well-Known Member

Hello,

I have a new server that I am transfering all of my clients to. This new server is in a different NOC, and I will eventually be getting rid of the old server. I assumed the correct way to do this would be like this:

1.) Transfer user and system files (this has been discussed on here before).
    2.) Initiate an IP change for my ns.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com .

Well, I have not yet been able to transfer any accounts because on my new server, BIND will not start. So, I need to know what I should do. Should I establish a trust relationship with the old server (through WHM), transfer all of the files, then transfer the domain info to the new server, and then transfer the nameserver IP\'s (through my registrar) over to the new server?

I do have an extra machine laying around here (it\'s not great, only a p2-400mhz). Perhaps it would be better to setup this server as a nameserver (have it run only BIND, no cpanel, etc...). I could then transfer all DNS queries to this machine, and then after this is complete, transfer the accounts over to the new server.

One more thing - (sorry if this is long) - Do I need cpanel / whm setup on my nameservers in order to establish a trust relationship with them through cpanel? I really don\'t want to shell out an additional $100 / month for each nameserver....

All comments will be very appreciated!

Thanks!

[Edited on 11/1/01 by mpope]

2. skhosting

skhosting Registered

You can host both nameservers on the same machine. Just add 2 different IP addresses - one for each nameserver, and add the DNS zone like this:

DNS1 IN 10.10.10.10

(where the 10.10.10.10) is the ip for DNS1

and do the same thing for DNS2.