BulldogXTRM

Registered
Jul 4, 2005
Last night I received some error emails from my server saying that bind had failed and it was trying to restart the service. I checked this out and tried to restart but this I get this message each time I try to restart the service.

"named has failed, please contact the sysadmin (result was "named is not running"). "

I need some help fixing this problem, please.

aby

May 31, 2005
India
BulldogXTRM said:
Last night I received some error emails from my server saying that bind had failed and it was trying to restart the service. I checked this out and tried to restart but this I get this message each time I try to restart the service.

"named has failed, please contact the sysadmin (result was "named is not running"). "

I need some help fixing this problem, please.
Try this command

/usr/sbin/named -u named -c /etc/named.conf

Then please verify whether the bind is running
ps ax | grep named

BulldogXTRM

Registered
Jul 4, 2005
named.conf didn't exist. I restored it from named.conf.backup and verified all DNS entries were correct. It's working again, thanks.

stphosting

Oct 17, 2005
you save my life

thx very much for the help it works to me i was desesperated but now one of my servers are working fine with you help

regards.

Alex

xidica

Apr 21, 2005
Texas
might not be a bad idea to run /scripts/rebuildnamedconf if /etc/named.conf doesn't already exist.
Or if it does, backup /etc/named.conf first, and run the script to rebuild the config to see if that works...