The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bind problems caused after installing cpanel.

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by vikas_adhangale, Jul 27, 2005.

1. vikas_adhangale

Hello All,

I'm running a Latest FreeBSD Box, All I did was run the cpanel installer, which takes care of installing every system service. This installer is frequently updated and sometimes there are bugs with certain operating systems,
    Now I'm having problems with BIND, BIND cannot start even. I tried millions of things but still no luck :( , I'm in puzzle :confused: . I'm about to resetup BIND on the server, Beofre doing so any suggestions will be realy helpfull.

Thanks
    Vikas
    http://Serverplace.net

2. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

What are the entries in log file...any specific errors that you are getting?

3. logix1000

logix1000 Active Member

Restart BIND and check /var/log/messages for the exact errors.

4. kaosent

kaosent Active Member

FreeBSD (latest?)

I had a number of problems that may be the same that you are having. I posted the results of my FreeBSD + CPanel process here: http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=41588 . In that post, I list the steps that I have taken to overcome all the CPanel install and operational issues that I encountered, including BIND.

Please let me know if any information there is helpful, I try to keep it up to date and edit the original post with new info as I get it. So, if you find something that should be on that list, let me know!

Anyway, good luck.

5. aby

aby Well-Known Member

Did you try to start the bind from shell

try this command from the shell

/usr/bin/named -u named -c /etc/namedb/named.conf

Please let me know if there are errors when you run this command. Then check the status.

There may be slight changes in this commands depending on your server. The user may be bind and the location of named.conf might be named.conf

6. vikas_adhangale

Hi all,

First of all thank you for your suggesions, I have Free BSD 5.3-RELEASE server. I would like to know if anybody is having a good tutorials for Free BSD, I'm a RedHat guy and i use to know very little about Free BSD. The errors i was getting like "Fatal No RNDC and no KEY found", which in turn means named is not present. While i have confirmed this from DC they said everything is OK. And after some more discussion with DC guys i got the issue resolved from Them. And i have made this post in here cause they were instructed me so :)

Thankyou
    Vikas C. Adhangale
    http://ServerPlace.net

7. kaosent

kaosent Active Member

Someone plz correct me if I am wrong, but I think named was actually present, but that the RNDC entries that are supposed to be in /etc/namedb/named.conf (including the key entry) were not present or incorrect, thus resulting in named aborting the startup. Does your last post mean that your problem is fixed? If so, perhaps you could post what fixed it so that other users having similar problems can reference it.

As far as good FBSD tutorials with CPanel, I haven't found any either (just bits and pieces here and there), which is why I made that post I linked to above, and I am trying to update it as appropriate as I go. If you find a good source of info, I would be VERY pleased if you would pm me a link! I can use all the help I can get.

Thanks, and good luck.