The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bizarre DNS issue

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by jenlepp, Nov 16, 2005.

1. jenlepp

jenlepp Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    My NOC can't figure this one out, either, hoping someone might have some ideas.

-----

I wrote in on another ticket, where themaindomain.com on host2 tried to add an ad on domain named theaddondomain.com. She deleted it and then added it back, and it would not add back because it claimed it was still in the nameservers, through a check of named and named.conf on that server, host.myservername.net and backup, the secondary nameserver which is offsite, all showed that it was not listed in WHM or when I grepped the databases.

For good measure, I attempted to delete it, anyway, and all 3 WHM's (on the server the domainis hosted on, the main dns server, and the offsite backup dns server) said the following:

Unable to remove zone theaddondomain.com from the Bind configuration (named.conf).
    The zone was possibly removed earlier.
    theaddondomain.com -> deleted from host2.
    Unable to remove zone theaddondomain.com from the Bind configuration (named.conf).
    theaddondomain.com -> deleted from host.
    Unable remove zone.
    theaddondomain.com -> deleted from backup.

Though immediately after doing this, I still get the following in the users Cpanel:

"Add Addon Domain
    Bind reloading on host2 using rndc zone: [themaindomain.com] Bind reloading on host using rndc zone: [themaindomain.com] Bind reloading on backup using rndc zone: [themaindomain.com] The subdomain, theaddondomain.themaindomain.com has been added. theaddondomain.com is owned by another user.

The add-on domain theaddondomain.com could not be added. The subdomain theaddondomain.themaindomain.com was not setup either."

I kind of gave up with the tech that I was working on this with when whatever he did with it caused the other two domains to not resolve at all.

However, this problem has come up again regarding the DNS, though in an entirely different manner. Three people have asked me to wipe out and reinstall their sites clear. Those were on host.myservername.net or host3.myservername.net (not the same server as above), and the domains deleted this morning are:

Account Terminated on host3.myservername.net (deleteddomain#1.com)
    Account Terminated on host.myservername.net (deleteddomain#2.com)
    Account Terminated on host.myservername.net (deleteddomain#3.com)

There were no errors when I deleted them, I checked /var/named and named.conf to ensure they were, in fact, gone, and went to add them back:

On host3.myservername.net:
    WWWAcct 10.0 (c) 1997-2005 cPanel, Inc.
    Sorry, a DNS entry for deleteddomain#1.com already exists, please delete it first (from all servers in the dns cluster)
    Account Creation Complete!!!

On host.myservername.net:
    Sorry, a DNS entry for deleteddomain#2.com already exists, please delete it first (from all servers in the dns cluster)

And on host.myservername.net again:
    Sorry, a DNS entry for deleteddomain#3.com already exists, please delete it first (from all servers in the dns cluster)

and attempting to switch servers around results in the same issue. Trying to put deleteddomain#3.com on host4.myservername.net:

Sorry, a DNS entry for deleteddomain#3.com already exists, please delete it first (from all servers in the dns cluster)

Trying to delete deleteddomain#3.com from host.myservername.net, the main name server, results in:

Unable to remove zone deleteddomain#3.com from the Bind configuration (named.conf).
    deleteddomain#3.com -> deleted from host.
    Unable remove zone.
    Unable to remove zone deleteddomain#3.com from the Bind configuration (named.conf).
    deleteddomain#3.com -> deleted from backup.
    Removal Complete

and from backup.myservername.net, the secondary nameserver, results in:

Unable remove zone.
    deleteddomain#3.com -> deleted from backup.
    deleteddomain#3.com -> deleted from host.
    Removal Complete

I've tried a DNS cleanup, a DNS synchronization, but nothing I do solves the problem. In addition, when this started several days ago (with the first add on domain issue), I had not made any changes to the way the DNS functions, though I've been cleaning and tinkering this morning in an effort to resolve this.

It would seem to me that the termination scripts in CPanel have a problem somewhere all of a sudden or that it's missing some step within itself that allows it to recognize a zone is gone or causes it to think deleted zones are still there even though there is no evidence of them in /var/named or named.conf. Unless there is somewhere else I'm not looking, I'm at a loss.

Anyone ever seen this?

2. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

Another reason to steer clear of add on domains.
    It has never worked totally satisfactorily.
    Sorry to be negative about this and I know its not helpful but cpanel is prone to these things unless you stick to the basic core functions.

3. jenlepp

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Yeah, well, folks like them and I've never had a problem with them before. Which doesn't help me now, of course. :)

The problem is this went from, initially, an add on domain problem to an "any domain deleted cannot be reinstalled" problem because WHMs across 5 seperate servers in two NOCs don't think that the things terminated, whether they are add ons or regular domains. If it was one server, I could probably troubleshoot, but the fact that whatever happened has mucked up DNS for any terminated anything subsequent to that happening just seems bizarre to me.

This is the first time in over a year of running the software that I'm really just baffled by what's happened.

4. jenlepp

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Ok, well...

I just disabled DNS clustering and was able to reinstall the add on.

Looks like there is a problem with the backup DNS server at the other NOC, which is running WHM. Going to flush it out and see if I can fix it.

Ya'll are like magic! Just posting here solved the issue to the point that I can at least reinstall those domains. :)