The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blackberry sending issues

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by krv783, Feb 10, 2011.

1. krv783

krv783 Registered

Feb 10, 2011
    I have a user that uses their Verizon blackberry with a domain on my cPanel server. The user can send emails from his Blackberry (using the account that resides on the server), to any other domain except for the same one. When they try to send an email to someone at the same domain, they get back a message such as the following..

Date: 03 Feb 2011 21:06:29
    To: <>
    Subject: Delivery Status Notification (Failure)

The following message to <> was undeliverable.
    The reason for the problem:
    5.3.0 - Other mail system problem 551-"Sender is on domain's blacklist (Mode: normal)"

Final-Recipient: rfc822;
    Action: failed
    Remote-MTA: dns; []
    Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 5.3.0 - Other mail system problem 551-"Sender is on domain's blacklist (Mode: normal)" (delivery attempts: 0)

This only happens for this user, because they use a Blackberry Storm. I'm not sure it it has something to do with the cPanel server not allowing Blackberry to relay the message through my own SMTP server, but I talked to blackberry support for hours and they suggested I disable all relay blocks on the server. I had no idea how to do this, I added every single blackberry smtp server ip to the /etc/relayhosts file and restarted exim, but that didn't seem to do anything either. I also tried playing around with the domain's SPF records to allow all of those IP's as well.. The user still gets this message back every time.

If I do a blacklist search for the blackberry SMTP server that sends the message out, it is usually blacklisted... There are literally hundreds of SMTP servers that the email may sent out from.

For now I can't for the life of me determine a way to fix this. I looked in /var/log/exim_rejectlog and didn't see anything pertaining to the message being rejected. I also looked in /var/log/exim_mainlog and obviously nothing was listed in there either.

It seems like the email is never sent to my SMTP server at all, and then that error message gets kicked back. I wish blackberry allowed you to simply enter the outgoing server parameters instead of forcing you to use their server..

We also use MXLOGIC, now McAfee for outside spam filtering.. The mx records for the domain point to mxlogic's servers for all incoming emails only. The error message states, which is the IP of one of MXlogic's servers, so I'm not certain if that may be where the problem lies?

Anyone have any ideas?
  2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

Oct 2, 2010
    somewhere over the rainbow
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Could you try unchecking the RBL lists in WHM > Exim Configuration Editor to see if the issue still occurs? I simply want to see if those RBL checks are causing the message. They would be the following in WHM > Exim Configuration Editor:

RBL: and

3. garrettp

garrettp Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2004
    cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I've also had users complain of this as well. Would be nice to have an option (or just force it) to have RBL checking disabled for local accounts relaying through the server.

Yes accounts can be manually added to one of the trusted SMTP lists, but this is tedious and impractical for servers with a large number of accounts.