Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Blacklisting IP's in Host Access Control blocks FTP connections?

Discussion in 'Security' started by Kamil Brand Nova, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Kamil Brand Nova

Kamil Brand Nova Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi, I recently added a rule in the Host Access Control to deny all IP addresses except my own in Host Access Control in the WHM. When I try to connect to FTP myself it all works fine but when a developer with a different IP (Working Remotely) tries to connect, the FTP connection times out for him. I can still see the logs of him being connected in the FTP connections in the cPanel but it doesn't let him get in it basically gets stuck on Listing Directories and then it sends an error that connection timed out. If it is a case of blocking the connection, that's a fairly strong feature (Security Wise).

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @Kamil Brand Nova,

Can you browse to WHM >> FTP Server Selection and verify if your system uses ProFTP or PureFTP? Pure-FTP does not support TCP wrappers, and thus won't work with the /etc/hosts.allow file on the system (WHM >> Host Access Control is simply a UI for this system file). Thus, if you're using PureFTP, then the issue presented to the remote user relates to your firewall configuration as opposed to your host access rules.

Thank you.