The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Block common domain usage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ChrisFirth, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisFirth

ChrisFirth Active Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi,

We use the WHM feature to block parked/addon domains. It works well and we add other domains to the file that contains a list of them ('/usr/local/cpanel/etc/commondomains').

There is one issue I have noticed and that is it doesn't seem to work for second level domains. If someone parks a second level domain on their account, this will prevent anyone else on the same server from being able to do the same. As an example, if I have two cPanel accounts with these domains:

test.com
    abc.com

On 'abc.com' I decide to park 'com.au' (or it could be '.com.br', '.co.nz' etc.). This now means test.com and any other account is unable to park any domains that end in '.com.au' due to cPanel thinking that 'abc.com' now owns *.com.au.

Is there a way I can specify a list of second level domains that should not be allowed aswell? If I add a second level domain to the commondomains file it results in any sub domain from working, which is expected.

Thanks

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  3. ChrisFirth

ChrisFirth Active Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi,

I think this issue is slightly different, as the problem exists for normal cPanel accounts not just from resellers in the WHM area. A standard account with no reseller rights is able to park the conflicting TLD on their account (eg. parking 'com.au') which prevents anyone else on the server from being able to park a real domain ending in that TLD.

Thanks

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

This is worthy of a bug report, which are now handled exclusively via our internal bug reporting system.

Please open a bug report for this via the following URL:

Submit A Bug Report

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.