Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Block domains pointed to my server?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Michaelit, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Michaelit

Michaelit Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello to all!
    I noticed today 2 domains (totally unknown to me) pointed to my server (WHM Installation). As far as i can see these domains use different name servers than the one i have already configured with however the 'final' page is the default web page of cPanel hosted.

I am wondering if i could block these unknown name servers and accept only the domains with the already configured ones or i could take under consideration something else in a matter of security.

Thank you!

2. cPWilliamL

cPWilliamL cP Technical Analyst II
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi @Michaelit,

Unfortunately, since the domains are not using your nameservers, you cannot block them. Your server has no interaction in the DNS query which points the client to your server. You can simply let these fail as they have been(cPanel default page), or you could create a specific rewrite in your Apache includes to redirect them straight to a 404, which would be a bit more efficient than performing a vhost lookup for the domain.
    Include Editor - Version 68 Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Thanks,