The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Block Particular email ID

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by SACHIN, Sep 14, 2006.

1. SACHIN

SACHIN Guest

Hello,

This query is regarding blocking particular email ID.We have 100 + domains on server and now a days we observed that we are getting mails from one particular email address ****@mail.ru and this email address we can see in other servers exim logs too.

How to block such email ID's for all domains?

Please update me ASAP.

Regrads,
    Sachin

2. SACHIN

SACHIN Guest

Hello,

Please update me ASAP. Not a single reply from last 24hr....Please update me soon.

Thank you.

3. cpanelinfoseeker

cpanelinfoseeker Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Using mailscanner, I just put the domain in the server blacklist. I actually have 24 domains blocked that have sent nothing but SPAM. It does need to be used with caution as some domains only have 1 or two email addresses that send spam and the rest are "real" email users. The nice thing about mailscanner is that individual addresses can be blocked as well as IP addresses. Each domain can also have their individual list in addition to the server main list.
    Here is the URL for mailscanner: http://www.configserver.com/cp/mailscanner.html
    I'm actually using his full package and am well pleased with his products, and his level of support!
    Ron

4. ramprage

ramprage Well-Known Member

Mailscanner is junk.

Use /etc/antivirus.exim - its a system wide filter. You can setup any rule you want to block a domain, header ID or whatever.

5. cpanelinfoseeker

cpanelinfoseeker Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    How is mailscanner junk?
    It does a wonderful job of setting my system, and allowing a readable page of what my settings are. I get a great readable display of current emails that are going through my system, shows the spam level and/or virus content of each email in one easy to read page. I can even easily search for specific email senders or receivers and get a listing with all these paramaters on one page (or multiple pages if a lot of emails fall within my settings)! Perhaps you are well versed in command line editing of files and prefer that way, but I enjoy the simplicity of having software display my settings and allowing me to configure them easily, and to get informative reports with only one or two clicks instead of manually reading through several logfiles using tail or grep.
    To each his own, but I can not agree with mailscanner being junk!
    Ron

6. jimchacko

jimchacko Member

YOu can use
    $header_to: is "emailaddress@test.com" in antivirus.exim file.

for example.

if $header_to: is "emailaddress@test.com"
    then
    seen finish
    endif

7. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Many of our clients had the same exact problem. The most interesting thing is that we found out that this email address is part of every autoresponder. The only way to get rid of this email address is to search all files in /etc/valiases/ and delete it. You can do the following:
    egrep "mail.ru" cd /etc/valiases/*

See what you get, and let me know :D

8. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    A bit harsh don't you think? Can you expand on this at all as to why you feel this way?

9. elitewebninja

elitewebninja Active Member

I have to go with cpanelinfoseeker on this...

Mailscanner nukes hundreds of spams per day from our servers. Customers love it and I love it because it keeps my customers happy. I mean, when people move over to our hosting and they email us asking "hey, where's my spam?"... you can't take anything more from that than it's a great system.

I do use antivirus.exim though also... both tools will pretty much take care of your spam problem.

:D

#9 elitewebninja, Oct 12, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2006