The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blocking Large INCOMING Messages

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by clickelement, Jul 5, 2005.

1. clickelement

clickelement Member

I am looking to block large INCOMING attachments. I know how to use the "message_size_limit" directive in exim to limit the size but it limits both the incoming and outgoing message sizes. I only want to limit the incoming message size. Can anyone shed any light?

I've been looking for the answer to this question for a very long time now. I've even combed through Exim's own manual and faq and found nothing. The reason I want to limit the incoming size is to get trid of those viruses that are crashing my server every week. :mad:

2. Aric1

Aric1 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Why not use something like MailScanner and ClamAV to have all incoming and outgoing mail scanned for viruses and other malware automatically. You can have MailScanner dump any messages that contain spam.

You can get a free installer here:

http://configserver.com/free/mailscanner.html

Also, Chirpy offers on the same site a $35 package to have him install and configure MS for you. You also get a frontend for CPANEL with the $35 package.

There is also another choice, though it isn't as flexible:

http://www.rvskin.com/index.php?page=public/antispam

3. clickelement

clickelement Member

Is there no way Exim can do this? It's actually quite elementary when you think about it. cPanel does have some sort of anti-spam thing but that does not seem to do the job. I simply want the server to reject all messages sent to it that are over a certain size. :confused:

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

It probably is quite easy to do, though the trick is determining if an email is incoming or outgoing (not always simple, e.g. with intra-server emails). Anyway, unless someone has already done it, you're going to have to dig deeper over at www.exim.org and checkout the exim mailing list.