The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blocking Unknown/Unresolved IP's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by go-san, Feb 12, 2005.

1. go-san

go-san Registered

How can I block all unknown/unresolved IP addresses? I want to stop spam on my site but IP spoofers are preventing me from blocking IP addresses. Specifically, how can I use the IP Manager to block unknown/unresolved IP addresses? Also, would this be a bad idea?

2. go-san

go-san Registered

Is this posted in the wrong forum or does no one know how to answer the question?

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You don't say how you want to block IP address, or how you want to distinguish them. There's no such thing as an unknown IP address, do you mean an IP address without a rDNS PTR record? If so, then you cannot block those within the IP Manager and I don't know why you would want to, since that would simply block anyone browsing to your web site who didn't have an rDNS record setup by their ISP.

If you want to block SMTP servers from sending email to your server that don't have an rDNS PTR record correctly configured, then you can do so by adding the following ACL to the exim ACL configuration:
    Code:
      require verify = reverse_host_lookup
             message = Your mail server IP address ($sender_host_address) has no reverse DNS PTR

4. go-san

go-san Registered

I was refering to rDNS. Thank you.