azadhussnain

May 28, 2020
India
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello, I've received an email just now :

Code:
The filesystem “/boot” mounted at “/boot” reached “warn” status because you currently use 87.45% of its available blocks.
I've checked few posts on forum, i found that i need to remove some files and old kernels from /boot folder but it is risky.
so i want advise regarding what file can be removed from here, here is the image attached showing kernel name and list of files of /boot folder :

1634650115432.png

andrew.n

Jun 9, 2020
EU
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
You can read about removing kernels safely here:

As an example you can use this command to remove all old kernels while keeping the last 3 most recent ones installed:

package-cleanup --oldkernels --count=2

cPanelAnthony

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 18, 2021
Houston, TX
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there!

While I am more than happy to offer advice and resources, please note that questions regarding what data is and isn't safe to delete would be best handled by a systems administrator. We ultimately can't be certain what impact removing any specific files will have on your host.

Nothing should be manually removed from the /boot partition. The only files that are written to /boot are boot kernels. In all likeliness, there are old kernels in /boot taking up space. I would suggest booting into the most recent kernel and removing the oldest ones.

After this, you'd just need to remove the older kernel packages.

As kernel-related tasks such as this are unrelated to cPanel and its bundled software, seeking guidance from a systems administrator is advised if you're unsure about performing the work in any of these articles.

Please reach out if you have any more questions!

cPanelAnthony

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 18, 2021
Houston, TX
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
You can read about removing kernels safely here:

As an example you can use this command to remove all old kernels while keeping the last 3 most recent ones installed:

package-cleanup --oldkernels --count=2
Thanks so much for your prompt assistance in this thread! Your vigilance is appreciated.

Reactions: andrew.n