The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Born-again Newbie: Which OS should I choose?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Starhawk, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Starhawk

Starhawk Registered

Hello, cPanel community.

I'm getting back into tech with a cPanel server after a couple of years completely out of the game.

My last servers were RH7.3 and RH9. It looks like things have progressed quite a bit since then.

If the choice is up to me, which OS is best for cPanel webhosting servers in terms of stability and security? It looks like I can choose between a couple versions of CentOS, pay for RH Enterprise, or go with Fedora of some kind. Suggestions?

I read the sticky thread about security and it has some great tips (including stuff that I used to do on our old servers)... any other major flaws that have popped up in the past 2yr that I should know about?

I know that's kind of a general question, I'm just trying to get back up to speed.

Cheers,
    Starhawk

2. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    my vote would be for Centos or RHE (basicly the same OS ) because of the longer lifespan

3. celliott

celliott Well-Known Member

I have been running CentOS 4.x on quite a few servers now and its been excellent in terms of stability and performance.