The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

both local and remote delivery of emails

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by kaosmonk, Apr 18, 2012.

1. kaosmonk

kaosmonk Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I'm a bit stuck with what I want to achieve here. The main idea is to have all inbound/outbound emails saved localy, on cpanel server and remotely, on my email server.
    For all domains' zone files I have set MX record to point to my remote server and emails are being delivered corectly. But what I want to achieve is to have all those emails delivered to cpanel server, in local directories. Is it doable, to have copies of all emails localy and remotely?

Thanks in advance for any idea you may have!

2. thewebhosting

thewebhosting Well-Known Member

There is no direct way to save copies of your emails locally. You can configure your email addresses with email client like Outlook Express to store emails on local machines.

3. kaosmonk

kaosmonk Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hm, let's try to simplify this task: MX entry for each of my domains hosted with cpanel points to some remote mail server. Everything functions as expected and mail is being delivered to that remote mail server. And that's fine.
    What I want to achieve here is to store every single email even on cpanel server in case that remote mail server goes down for some reason, leaving possibility for all my clients to log in at cpanel webmail and check their emails.
    Is that possible at all?

4. thewebhosting

It is possible but not for each and every email. You will receive emails on local cPanel server ONLY when remote server will go down.

If you set secondary (backup) MX record with lower priority of your cPanel server and your main remote mail server goes down at that time emails will start delivering to local secondary cPanel server. But once again, NOT all emails you OR your users will be able to see on cPanel server.

5. kaosmonk

kaosmonk Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I see. Thanks for the input.
    So I guess the best would be to set all emails to be delievered locally with my cpanel and let the remote mail server to pull out all the emails to the respective accounts? That's the only way, I think, to achieve what I want...?

6. thewebhosting

I can not tell you exactly that it will be possible to achieve your target by this way. Using secondary MX record you can only transfer mail server load from one server to other remote server in case of downtime.