Bounced emails via Mailman, especially to Yahoo addresses

justabaldguy

Registered
Aug 18, 2015
Houston
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Howdy everyone,
I'm new here and apologize if I'm missing anything. I searched but didn't find a solution. I tried the Googles with minimal success. I'm managing a website for church and am trying to get new stuff done after recently moving hosts.

Here's the crux of the issue. Say I have [email protected]. I want this to automatically send emails to the people on that team when anyone sends an email to that address. Before, with our old host, it was essentially one big email forwarder. I typed in our domain email, and then added a list of everyone who should receive it, and from then on all those on that list were automatically copied. That function isn't here with my current host (Host Gator). I can use Mailman which seems horribly clunky, or input ONE address at a time in the forwarder.

Now I'm getting emails bounced from Yahoo address. It says pretty much every time the same message:

Code:
"delivery temporarily suspended: lost connection with mta6.am0.yahoodns.net[63.250.
192.46] while sending RCPT TO"

which is followed up by

"Final-Recipient: rfc822; <usernamehere>@yahoo.com
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; delivery temporarily suspended: lost connection
    with mta6.am0.yahoodns.net[63.250.
192.46] while sending RCPT TO"
This only happens to Yahoo accounts. I'm savvy enough to poke around in Mailman, but nothing I've done (including changing munge to wrap) has worked. I'm not an elite user so it's been tricky trying to fix this. I appreciate all advice and input, on everything from how to stop the bounces to other fixes/programs I can use for group email.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello :)

Do you have root access to this server, or is this a shared hosting account?

Thank you.

justabaldguy

Registered
Aug 18, 2015
Houston
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi Michael, thanks for the reply. I'm not sure. I have the account through Host Gator. I have access to the control panel in there. I think it's shared though as I don't know anything about root access. I'll look and see if it shows up somewhere, or maybe you know where I should look.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
It's likely you only have a shared hosting account based on the information you have provided. I suggest reporting this issue to your hosting provider so they can take a closer look and investigate the cause of this problem.

Thank you.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
The error messages you referenced indicate an overall issue with sending to those remote mail servers, regardless of how they are sent. Thus, using an alternate method of forwarding would not make a difference. It's an issue that your hosting provider will need to investigate (they will have access to Exim logs).

Thank you.

Jimmad39

Registered
Feb 3, 2016
Boston
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi Michael, thanks for the reply. I'm not sure. I have the account through Host Gator. I have access to the control panel in there. I think it's shared though as I don't know anything about root access. I'll look and see if it shows up somewhere, or maybe you know where I should look.
I noticed this thread today I'm having this same problem but I do have root accesses to the cpanel. With a host gator account getting the exact same error message. Is this a host gator problem or a yahoo problem

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
I noticed this thread today I'm having this same problem but I do have root accesses to the cpanel. With a host gator account getting the exact same error message. Is this a host gator problem or a yahoo problem
What's the specific entry for a failed message in /var/log/exim_mainlog? EX:

Code:
exigrep [email protected] /var/log/exim_mainlog
Thank you.

Jimmad39

Registered
Feb 3, 2016
Boston
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
What's the specific entry for a failed message in /var/log/exim_mainlog? EX:

Code:
exigrep [email protected] /var/log/exim_mainlog
Thank you.
This is exactly what I get when I send a message to yahoo accounts

Code:
[mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 3, 2016 11:02 AM
To: (hidden)@example.net
Subject: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender

This is the mail system at hostgateway26.websitewelcome.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be delivered to
one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete your own
text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<[email protected]>: delivery temporarily suspended: lost connection with
mta6.am0.yahoodns.net[66.196.118.33] while sending RCPT TO

Final-Recipient: rfc822; [email protected]
Original-Recipient: rfc822;[email protected]
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; delivery temporarily suspended: lost connection
with mta6.am0.yahoodns.net[66.196.118.33] while sending RCPT TO

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Could you run the command referenced in my earlier response (replacing the email account with the actual Yahoo email account that failed)?

Thank you.

Jimmad39

Registered
Feb 3, 2016
Boston
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Could you run the command referenced in my earlier response (replacing the email account with the actual Yahoo email account that failed)?

Thank you.
Sure...as I'm sure you always get new people asking questions I too am new. Where do I run the command? I do most of my research on my phone so if it's in the command prompt I will have to wait till I get home from work. Sorry I bet it's frustrating answering questions for newbies lol. Also it doesn't only fail when sending to this yahoo account it fails sending to all yahoo accounts.

Stokestack

Registered
Jul 17, 2020
USA
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
So... no resolution on this?

This is still happening, pretty much the exact same scenario. Using HostGator to send to three AOL recipients, which apparently involves this same Yahoo server. I too am trying to determine if Yahoo/AOL are to blame, or HostGator/websitewelcome.com.