The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boxtrapper and ARP email not getting through to Yahoo and others....

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Netsultants, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Netsultants

Netsultants Registered

Boxtrapper and ARP email not getting through to Yahoo and others....

I have setup Boxtrapper on a few of my email accounts to test it. It is working great at stopping spam but I noticed AOL and Yahoo accounts, for example, are not getting the reply to verify email sent by Boxtrapper. I understand as a security measure, Yahoo turns a special filter in their mail servers on and off. This filter automatically bounces back some autoresponder messages or mailing list broadcasts.

I've read : To get the message through, your e-mail system needs to retry sending it. Spammers never retry sending, real people and legitimate mailers do (that's why Yahoo set up the filter in the first place). Is there a good way to have Boxtrapper send it twice or another solution for these types of email accounts (Yahoo / aol )?

2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If Yahoo/AOL tempfail the message, it should retry automatically. If they permanently fail the deliver with a 5.x.x error, then it won't.

Boxtrapper - bad idea. I know this will stir up a hornet's nest, but Boxtrapper is yet another spam amplifier. ANY spam coming into a Boxtrapper address has a verification email sent back to the (99% of the time faked) sender.

If I were AOL or Yahoo, no matter how much I don't support their oft-looked-upon strongarm tactics, I wouldn't want to accept verification emails like that either. You may have a very very very very difficult time getting those emails into the Inbox of AOL or Yahoo users.

Mike

3. Netsultants

Netsultants Registered

Mike,

Are you sure the server resends? I'm not sure.....

What I am sure about is I'm tired of getting spam. I'd get about 200+ a day on a few of my accounts. I'd inadvertently delete email I wanted by mistake deleting spam.

Since using Boxtrapper I've had zero spam and it does just what I need.

I don't even care if AOL or yahoo block the ARP but it's a disservice to their customers that don't even know the message hasn't been received.

Spam filters are just a cat-mouse game. I spend too much time creating filters only to have spammers find ways around them. I've probably created 100+ filters and still it comes right through.

Until we can hunt down and stuff spammers, I see no other way.

4. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It really sounds like you aren't using SpamAssassin. If you were and it were set up properly, you should not see spam anywhere near that volume. ANd if you are the admin of the server you should be able to set it up to reject during SMTP (in the ACL section of WHM / Exim Configuration Editor) spam over a certain number (10 is probably a good number, although even 20 will do it justice).

If you are getting certain kinds of spam that just keep making it through and you are the server admin, you could grap some of the spamassassin SARE rules (although tehy will increase the load a little during spamassassin processing) - They help weed out some more things.

Mike