The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

boxtrapper being killed by current wave of spam

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Abu Mami, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Abu Mami

Abu Mami Active Member

I've been using boxtrapper for some time now and have been very happy with it - it gave me back my inbox. However, the latest wave of spam/trojans have been getting through for some reason. In spite of the fact that these emails are not in the white list, the only way I can stop them is by adding them to the blacklist or ignore list. This wouldn't be so bad except for the fact the "From" address in these emails keeps changing. I'm now once again busy taking care of my inbox, deleting the junk, and administering my email accounts via the boxtrapper setup.

Here's an example of an entry in the boxtrapper log file:
    Found user as mailer/postmaster mailer-daemon@yahoo.com/failure delivery

Why does this mail get through? Why is "mailer/postmaster" as a user considered OK? Anyone out there have ideas on what can be done?

Thanks,

Abu Mami

2. Abu Mami

Abu Mami Active Member

Please - can anybody help?

Hi,

Please, can anybody help? Maybe the support team has an idea of what's going on? Boxtrapper should be stopping all of this junk, but for some reason it thinks it's OK.

Thanks.

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

If you want official cPanel support you need to log a ticket with them through your cPanel license provider. This forum is not for official support.

Probably the lack of replies stems from the fact that many believe the likes of boxtrapper are an extremely bad way of protecting against spam for the simple reason that they add to the overall problem rather than alleviating it. A much better solution would be to use a server-wide anti-spam/virus solution to block or filter spam.

4. Abu Mami

Abu Mami Active Member

Thanks - I didn't realize this. I don't use these forums much.

I know some people don't like this type of spam protection, but it gave me my inbox back (at least up till about a week ago). It may not be perfect, but it cut down my spam from over 2000 per week to about maybe 1 a week.

Thanks

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

The problem isn't the mailbox it protects, it's that it can get the whole server listed on much used RBL's because of the way it works. One of the biggest problems with spam for server admins is the load it generates, the likes of boxtrapper can significantly increase the load on the server and the internet as they generate much more email than the original spam problem.

6. Abu Mami

Abu Mami Active Member

Hmm, I see what you mean - hadn't thought of that.

So, what's recommended. I get killed by spam and have become totally frustrated with email.

Thanks again.