The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

boxtrapper bugs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Michael-MS, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Michael-MS

Michael-MS Well-Known Member

I just tested the new boxtrapper feature in cpanel pro.

Here are some bugs that I've found so far.

1) When someone replies to the verification email their response is processed and then that verification email is deleted. This is bad because people include comments in their replies even though it's just a verification email... so I think there should be an option to not delete the verification emails.

2) Verification does not work if the sender has multiple email addresses. Here's an example.

Email sent to boxtrapper@mydomain.com from fred@fredsdomain.com. Boxtrapper sends the verification email to fred@fredsdomain.com. Fred has fred@fredsdomain.com forwarding to his hotmail account. Fred verifies the email from his hotmail account.

The problem is that then Fred's hotmail account is verified and fred@fredsdomain.com is not and his original email is still waiting in the boxtrapper queue.

Sure... this may not be a common scenario but it happened to me already!

3) I would also like to be able to whitelist an entire domain. The * didn't seem to work.

-------------------------------------------

Thanks,
    Michael

#1 Michael-MS, Feb 13, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2004
  2. haze

haze Well-Known Member

1. This would be an AWEFUL idea, mainly because spammers send from non existant email addresses. So, when you send them the initial message, you get a bounce.. if you get a lot of spam, thats a lot of bounced messages and you got your mail server working over time. NOT GOOD! I would suggest just editing the message that is sent to say that the reply will be deleted as soon as it is sent, and will NOT be read.

3. Michael-MS

Maybe it's late, but this doesn't make sense to me.

Your scenario: Email is sent from a spammer, verification is sent out, it's bounced back... does boxtrapper verify it or does it know that it's a bounced email?

All I'm asking is that if boxtrapper successfully verifies an email then it should kindly send me a copy of that email just in case any comments were included. No?

Michael

4. Michael-MS

In retrospect, I'm realizing that this is the reason why bug #2 is setup this way. It needs to receive the email from the same address that sent it otherwise it wouldn't know if it was just a bounced email, right? If this is true then I would still like bug #1 fixed... maybe just make it an option?

5. Michael-MS

I guess the problem is that Boxtrapper whitelists whichever email address replies to the verification email. It doesn't remember who originally sent it...

I'm sure someone can think of some other scenarios where the email address that authorizes the email address is not the same as the email address that the first email was sent from. Which means that the original email (even though it was verified) will stay in the boxtrapper queue.

I guess there is no perfect spam solution. :(

On the other hand, if boxtrapper (as per bug #1 in my first post) would deliver a successful verification response to me then I could expect to receive a corresponding email. And if no email shows up then I could check the queue to see what went wrong.

I hope that makes sense... lol. :\

Michael

6. bensonlee

bensonlee Member

kinda offtopic....

i like the addon feature of boxtrapper as described in the button, however, i cant test any of its features, as only description is available in the boxtrapper button. not a link. how do i test boxtrapper also?

7. bensonlee

bensonlee Member

for after more than a year, will boxtrapper still be available?

8. Michael-MS

after more than a year? what happens in a year? did I miss something? lol

9. bensonlee

bensonlee Member

it seems it was gone days after it was shown in our cpanel.