The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BoxTrapper is still in v11?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MaraBlue, May 4, 2007.

1. MaraBlue

MaraBlue Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I was just poking around the v11 demos, and I can't believe BoxTrapper is still there! AFAIK, it was deprecated years ago...and has never worked correctly. Why is it still there?

2. forlinuxsupport

forlinuxsupport Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    um, I use it and it works fine.. :)

I had a few problems with it after the update - namely directory permissions, but that fixed it.

chmod 0750 /home/*/etc
    chgrp mail /home/*/etc

Cheers
    Andy

3. carluk

carluk Well-Known Member

Boxtrapper :eek:

4. MaraBlue

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    My thoughts exactly!!!! :)

5. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am playing with cPanel 11 on a test server. I remember seeing something on that box as it was going through the upgrade procedure about boxtrapper and because boxtrapper was disabled, it was ignoring a certain element.

I checked the exim.conf on that test box, and I'm not seeing any mention of boxtrapper in the config file. In the past I have commented out the boxtrapper parts in the exim.conf file, but now I'm not even seeing them at all in the exim.conf file.

Perhaps if you have boxtrapper disabled through the tweak settings link, then the boxtrapper lines are not added to the exim.conf file? I don't know, I haven't had a lot of time to check on it. Or to really play with cPanel 11 in general. But someone else might want to check this and see if this is the case.

6. VinceL

VinceL Member

BoxTrapper :eek: is terrible. I don't know why CPanel even makes it an option in v.11 .

If any of you are using it, it will appear to be a great tool until spammers realize you have it and start 'joe jobbing' their emails to make them appear that the spam emails actually came from your box and your customer domains. Then you can spend hours, even days getting yourself off of blacklists and even more time explaining to your customers as to why their mail isn't getting delivered.

I use MailScanner in a package set up by the folks at ConfigServer

It works better than my previous SpamAssasin install and has some great features specifically designed for CPanel users.

7. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Tweak settings will prevent it from going in exim.conf

8. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    When used in conjunction with spamassasin its very very effective.

9. MaraBlue

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I would disagree with that. In some versions of cPanel over the years, I couldn't even get it to work, period (and yes, it was enabled from within WHM). There really should be the option to do away with it from cPanel completely, rather than have to resort to a hack or use RVskin.

10. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    From the way I understand it and from what Nick has said, if you uncheck Boxtrapper Spam Trap in Tweak Setting on cPanel 11, then boxtrapper is completely removed.

Previously there were some concerns over whether or not boxtrapper was actually still working even with this option unchecked. On cPanel 10 systems, if Boxtrapper Spam Trap is unchecked, then the boxtrapper lines still remain in the exim.conf file. This is fixed in cPanel 11, if Boxtrapper Spam Trap is unchecked, then the exim.conf file has no mention of boxtrapper.

As for whether or not boxtrapper is useful. Personally, I am not a fan of it. I'm not sure if it is really all that useful. Spamcop's take on the subject is also worth mentioning.

However all of that being said, I am quite alright with cPanel continuing to give it as an option, just as long as it is an option that I can disable on the servers that I administer.

11. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Boxtrapper is certainly good for the end-user. However, all it does from a server admins POV is double the email traffic caused by spam and can very very easily get you blocked in RBL's and render your whole mail server subject to non-delivery. I'd definitely not recommend its use, it just perpetuates the issue of spam email load, IMHO. Most of the major anti-spam orgs (e.g. as quoted by sparek-3, hate CR systems for this very reason.

12. budway

budway Well-Known Member

So now we are flamming one of the best end-user solution?

SPF has low acceptable
    Domainkeys is not fully working right our dev/stable.
    Spamassassin does cpu waste and make users still have to check if it is spam our have a spam box.

I can't see a better option than boxtrapper.

If you have your exim settings right it would be hard for spammers to spoof return address and than you don't have problems with rbl's.