The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BoxTrapper vs Active Spam Killer

Discussion in 'cPanel Developers' started by rs-freddo, Feb 12, 2004.

1. rs-freddo

rs-freddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well I was pretty disappointed with cPanel Pro. BoxTrapper was the only app. that I thought would be useful, but it isn't. BoxTrapper is a clone of Active Spam Killer. BoxTrapper has some nice features, you can view the queue and log and change the text sent out to verify, all via the gui. With ASK it has to be done via email.

The down side is that Boxtrapper sends out the email Headers - now nobody but a geek is familiar with Headers, they are always hidden. So internet user gets an email saying to activate and a big list of headers that mean absolutely nothing to them. They will most probably verify - EVEN IF THEY NEVER SENT THE EMAIL. Simply because they haven't a clue what the email is about. The other side of the coin is that some people will be confused by the headers and simply delete the verification email. ASK sends the first X lines (not the headers) of the email, this way people can see if they really did want you to receive this email.

ASK also has a nice feature where mail that includes a code will always go thru - the code can simply be a slogon such as "Best hosting, best prices". Great for when you initiate an email communication and don't want the replyee to have to go thru verification.

Boxtrapper in it's current form is useless.

2. Michael-MS

Michael-MS Well-Known Member

I also found a few more bugs: http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20253

In response to your post, I like the verification emails... I customized mine and removed the headers completely. It would be nice if there was a command to include the original email text... maybe there is?

Michael

3. DevilBear

DevilBear Member

I don't understand why cPanel didn't integrate TMDA instead of this nonsense.

4. DevilBear

DevilBear Member

Well that's all good and easy to say.

I challenge you to get TMDA working (fully) with cPanel's Exim implementation. Believe me, I've tried.

And I don't mean provide a configuration interface from cPanel. I just mean get the software working. The very first step.

5. danimal

danimal Well-Known Member

I think there is:

%email%

There (apparently) are also:

%acct%
    %msgid%
    %subject%
    %headers%
    %webdomain%

This is from some other thread where someone figured out what headers the code is looking for.

HTH!

-Danimal :cool:

6. fizz

fizz Well-Known Member

active spam killer is nice, however there is by default no web interface for it. I have created a SF project called WebASK ( http://www.sf.net/projects/webask ). I dont have a live demo at the moment, but i use it with my cpanel server. There are some tweaks in order to get it working properly, but its way worth it since you have a nice web interface to login with.

7. gaidhlig

gaidhlig Guest

Boxtrapper fails to trap

It seems to fail to trap any CC email addresses - so you can send an email with a non-existant address but the CC is correct, it gets straight through - I suspect the same with BCC by the number of Spam emails getting through - anyone suggest a fix?

Keith

8. gigli

gigli Registered

positive

Cyber Positive

I made a positive interface in php w/ the CAPTCHA tech.

u can see at: http://positive.cyberhosting.com.br
    And when a msg back to the user, he dont reply the message, but click on a link that send to that page, and when he confirm the numbers/letters, the msg is sent from boxtrapper and add to the whitelist.

9. DogTags

DogTags Active Member

Hi gigli

That's really nice! :)

How did you do it?

Would you mind making that code available?

Thanks very much :)