Boxtrapper - what is the white, ignore, and black list search order

jxmot

Sep 24, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
I was wondering what the search order of the white, ignore, and black lists is. I couldn't find it in the documentation, but I'm guessing it is white, ignore, and then black.

thanks in advance!

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello :)

Yes, while not documented, that's the typical behavior for most mail filtering utilities. Are you experiencing different behavior to that?

Thank you.

jxmot

Sep 24, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Thanks for getting back to me.... I've not had any experience with any other filtering utilities but it's how I would design it.

I'm not noticing any difference in behavior but knowing the order will help me create white and ignore lists so that the outgoing challenge messages are minimized. I have a few email accounts where I want to block(ignore) everything except for white listed addresses. And so far it's working very well. The Perl reg-ex is pretty easy to figure out....

thanks again!

jxmot

Sep 24, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Since my original post I've learned a bit more about regex and the order in which the white, ignore, and black lists are checked....

I had an error in the ignore list where I had -

from .+\@.+\.co

Which also matches '*.com' addresses. That wasn't what I wanted. I only wanted to ignore '*.co' addresses. So before I learned about the use of the regex '$' I had placed a specific 'from [email protected]' line in the white list and tested the changes.

What happened is the ignore list is checked first, not second as previously thought. IMHO that's wrong. I believe that the white list should be checked first, then ignore and black.

I've since changed it to -

from .+\@.+\.co$

Regards,
j