The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boxtrapper - what is the white, ignore, and black list search order

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by jxmot, Sep 24, 2014.

1. jxmot

jxmot Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I was wondering what the search order of the white, ignore, and black lists is. I couldn't find it in the documentation, but I'm guessing it is white, ignore, and then black.

thanks in advance!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Yes, while not documented, that's the typical behavior for most mail filtering utilities. Are you experiencing different behavior to that?

Thank you.

3. jxmot

jxmot Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thanks for getting back to me.... I've not had any experience with any other filtering utilities but it's how I would design it.

I'm not noticing any difference in behavior but knowing the order will help me create white and ignore lists so that the outgoing challenge messages are minimized. I have a few email accounts where I want to block(ignore) everything except for white listed addresses. And so far it's working very well. The Perl reg-ex is pretty easy to figure out....

thanks again!

4. jxmot

jxmot Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Since my original post I've learned a bit more about regex and the order in which the white, ignore, and black lists are checked....

I had an error in the ignore list where I had -

from .+\@.+\.co

Which also matches '*.com' addresses. That wasn't what I wanted. I only wanted to ignore '*.co' addresses. So before I learned about the use of the regex '$' I had placed a specific 'from user@domain.com' line in the white list and tested the changes.

What happened is the ignore list is checked first, not second as previously thought. IMHO that's wrong. I believe that the white list should be checked first, then ignore and black.

I've since changed it to -

from .+\@.+\.co$

Regards,
    j