BoxTrapper - Woes, Spam & Headaches

eastonch

Registered
Feb 20, 2015
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi,

A little background.

We have a dedicated cPanel server that requires to have Boxtrapper enabled on all accounts, however recently with the amount of fake reply-to e-mail we're getting inbound, Boxtrapper is spamming outbound & causing us problems.

Boxtrapper being disabled is not an option, this decision is above me.

I looked at creating an Exim filter, and created the following:

However frankly, it doesnt do the Job, but I couldn't find a unique header or anything like that that matches all 4 possible emails from Boxtrapper oubound.

It only seems to hit a few of the many emails as you can imagine.

I was looking into creating a identical string in each of the template files for each of the accounts in the /home/ folder so I could then detect that & freeze dev null it.

I'm a little lost on which direction I should go in next, I know it's an odd request. The accounts will still be using whitelisted names from when they have sent out / previous whitelists created already.

Thanks.

eastonch

Registered
Feb 20, 2015
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi!

Sorry, forgot to include the rule.

if
$message_headers: contains "X-Boxtrapper:"
then
save "/dev/null" 660
endif

(I had found a header, it seems to be capturing some mail but not all of it...)

Thanks!

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Boxtrapper being disabled is not an option, this decision is above me.
Hello :)

If the backscatter issue continues, it might be a good idea to push for disabling it on the account. While it's a useful tool to prevent SPAM, there are some cases where alternative solutions are recommended.

Thank you.

itagtodd

Registered
Nov 28, 2005
If there was a way to feed Spamassassin sa-learn items out of the boxtrapper queue, it would be a much better tool