The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

boxtrapper - works for some accounts, but not all :-(

Discussion in 'cPanel Developers' started by DogTags, Nov 27, 2004.

1. DogTags

DogTags Active Member

boxtrapper - works for some accounts, but not all - gap in validation string

Hi All

Installed boxtrapper, then enabled for 2 accounts

For the account where boxtrapper works, here is the log file after the whole validation process has been done:

However, for the account where boxtrapper doesn't work, here is that log file:

Hmmm....as I was copying/pasting, I noticed that the verification code of the second account has a gap in it:

verify#thWlQpdd__513wwSStViG FRlj36qXE5s

Hmmm....how the heck did that gap get in there? Might it have something to do with the problem?

Thanks very much :)

#1 DogTags, Nov 27, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2004
  2. DogTags

DogTags Active Member

I just got some spam through the account that's having problems with boxtrapper, and sure enough, that gap showed up again, and in the same place - twelve spots from the right:

verify#EUwxMrmT3WbztIOgiK4Mt mfHSQ3Cg0un

3. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    The mail client might be cutting it off...

Did you open a ticket ?

4. DogTags

DogTags Active Member

Hi cpanelnick

Support ticket?

Where could I do that?

I run a VPS account through a host. I'm not sure if this matters. Should my host contact cpanel support directly?

Sure would love to get boxtrapper working right :)

5. DogTags

DogTags Active Member

Do you mean like Outlook or Eudora?

The same mail program was used to test both accounts mentioned above, and the results were consistent.

In the first account, boxtrapper worked fine each time, but for the second account, it didn't work, and the same prob kept coming up.

HTH :)

6. DogTags

DogTags Active Member

Just upgraded to the latest cpanelpro (v4), but gap is still there for at least one account :(

7. danimal

danimal Well-Known Member

Any luck?

DogTags,

Did you ever figure this out? I'm getting the same problem with the latest cPanel Pro and WHM Release. I see the Internal Verification line in the logs, but not the auto-whitelisting, so the address isn't ever added to the white-list and the originally sent message isn't delivered to the inbox. *sigh*

It's so frustrating... boxtrapper has so much potential, but I just can't get it to work consistently. grrrr.

Help? Thoughts?

-Danimal :cool:

8. BenThomas

BenThomas Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Make sure that you're using the latest version of cPanelPro.

9. danimal

ok...

How do I know if I am? Is there a version option somewhere? I just now (like 1 hour ago) selected it from the AddOn Modules and it did a full update, so I'm pretty sure it's the latest.

It seems to be stuck with the problem that the verifications are coming in but not causing the sender to be white-listed and not causing the sender's original email to be moved to the inbox.

I'd be happy to manually remove and reinstall Pro if that might help, but I don't remember how. Any good threads on how that should be done? Or is it now only to be managed via the AddOn Modules?

Thanks,

10. BenThomas

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you've just recently installed it (like today as you stated), then it's the latest version. What OS and architecture (x86, amd64, etc.) are you using?

11. danimal

RH9 i686

The interesting thing is that this was working before. I suspect that the problem isn't a general boxtrapper or cpanelpro problem, but some weird state or configuration on my end. That was why I was thinking of uninstalling and then reinstalling cpanel pro. No one is really using it yet. My wife is the testbed for boxtrapper, so she's the only one using that feature.

Has anyone else had problems with the verification email not releasing the original email from the queue and adding the sender to the white-list?

12. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Ben can we get boxtrapper html fixed at some point?
    Running CURRENT here.

13. BenThomas

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Are you referring to this issue which I cannot verify, or a specific Bug report, or something else?

14. danimal

Solution...

For what it's worth, I think I finally figured out what is going on.

"Internal Verification" must be some fail-over state or cryptic error-state message.

I discovered that if the verify.txt template included square brackets, it caused this error, but if I took the square brackets out, it did the normal auto-whitelist and queue release.

This is the same thing I found when trying to figure out limitations on white-listing, i.e. to not include the square brackets on subject matching.

So, my guess is that the regexp code, both for list matching and for form-template matching, stumbles on characters that are regexp codes, like square brackets.

Anyway, hopefully this will help as you all try and troubleshoot what is happening. It took me 3-4 hours with 10+ test accounts until I finally stumbled upon this.

Also, this apparently is new, since I had set up a verify.txt for my wife's account months ago that worked just fine, even with the square brackets.

The good news is that it wasn't a wasted 3-4 hours, since now Boxtrapper is working once again as it should. I still haven't figured out fully what that "enable auto-whitelisting" option is about, but since the default is on, I suspect that it is a new feature to allow one to turn off the automatic addition to a whitelist. I'll test this more, now that I've fixed the verify issue. It would be really nice to have an option like this. It'll make email "safe" for my kids, as we can manually manage the white-list and I don't have to worry about emails automatically being added to the white-list by malicious intent.

Cool. :cool:

15. meweb

meweb Well-Known Member

mail not accepting from the account starting from digits

We cannot send email from the account startinf from digits
    For ex-: test2_xyz@2-domainname.com
    domain name is starting with digits "2-domainname.com"
    we can send mail using every option but not for this account only.