The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Braindead - deleted NS account

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pcgh, Nov 17, 2003.

1. pcgh

pcgh Active Member

Okay, I had a major braindead moment this past Friday and deleted the account / domain that my custom name servers use (mydomain.net). My thinking behind this was to redirect the web traffic for mydomain.net to mydomain.com, my primary domain name. Well, obviously with the DNS servers @ the .net address, this was a pretty dumb thing to do. Now many customers aren't getting their web sites showing up.

I am in the process of resetting up the domain for the name servers and just wanted to check the setup:

In WHM, Server Setup / Edit Setup has the proper names for the name servers (ns1.mydomain.net and ns2.mydomain.net). Manage Name Server IP's lists the name servers and their proper IPs. I recreated the mydomain.net account and added an A record in "Edit a DNS Zone" for ns1 and ns2 to point to the proper NS IP addresses.

Is that it? I assume at this point I have to wait for the changes to propagate? Anything else I might be missing?

I also find myself wondering if I needed to instead create a completely seperate DNS zone for ns1 and ns2. So was setting an A record under mydomain.net enough or should ns1 and ns2 have their own zones?

Setting this stuff up the first time was kind of a pain and now I wish I had taken better notes!

Anyway, any replies would be greatly appreciated. It has not been a good Monday.

2. solan

solan Active Member

I had to create the zone's for each nameserver on the box , and include the "A" record in the domain it belonged to....

:rolleyes: I hope I'm right because its been a while since I did it as well..but what you explained sounds right.

3. pcgh

pcgh Active Member

Solan - Thanks. I was adding A records to the domain OR adding a new zone but not both. Adding both did the trick.

Thanks for cluing me in! Next time I better pay a bit more attention to what I delete! Haha.