The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bring Back Use of Apache access_log for all hosting accounts!

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by ckh, Aug 11, 2011.

1. ckh

ckh Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    For some reason cPanel decided to stop logging apache accesses to the individual domlogs and not the /usr/local/apache/logs/access_log which now contains useless info, pretty much contains only the localhost or 127.0.0.0

The apache access log was valuable in researching plus it could be easily configured to rotate so if you needed to go back and search for a security problem, you would just need to go to the specific rotated log for the time period. Since the domlogs are normally processed each day and deleted, then you really can't do any looking for problems older than the last time the logs were processed. There isn't any simple way to search all the sites at once, you have to do each one individually.

I remember at one time the apache access_log did contain all the http accesses but couldn't say for sure when it stopped. It's really a pain to enable the logging now as you have to modify template files here and template files there and there aren't any examples or documentation on how to create or modify any of the templates. Quite possible changes will be lost on an update.

I see this on about 50 or 55 servers, so it's not just an isolated incident.

I'd really like to see a way to be able to easily enable this once again, without having to modify 3 or 4 different templates, a one click option to turn it on or off in the apache configuration area would be ideal.